Problems profiling LocalDb

rpasechnikovrpasechnikov Posts: 2
edited March 3, 2016 2:52PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 9
Hi,

We have recently moved to SQL Server 2012 LocalDb within our application and have run into an issue, when trying to profile the application. The problem was that after attempting to profile the application running localdb, localdb would stop functioning completely - attempting to recreate user instances would fail, reinstalling the application would not fix the issue either.

What ended up being the issue is Performance Profiler inserting a registry setting into "ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionAppCompatFlagsLayers" without cleaning that up properly when the performance session stops. The base issue is that even during the performance session, this would break the LocalDb functionality.

We will soon be needing to do some performance investigations and will not be able to do that with this issue..

Help?

Thanks,
Ross

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Ross,

Thanks for your post and so sorry to hear the profiler has been causing some problems!

This LocalDB problem was actually a known issue with version 8.5 of the profiler when it would try to profile LocalDb as a child process of an application. Just to confirm, are you using version 8.5 or are you still seeing this with a newer version?

If the former, can you kindly update to the latest from Help>Check for updates to resolve this? If the latter though, we'll need to gather more information, but can you please first confirm if disabling "Profile child processes" prevents the issue?

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• I'm using Performance Profiler 9.5 and have the same issue. I'm running Windows 10 and SQL server 2014. I tried downgrading to 8.4 but other issues occurred. I need help with getting the profiler working.
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi katrash,

Sorry to hear you're running into issues as well!

Just to double check though, are you using SQL Server 2014 Express localdb? (this particular problem only occurs with localdb)

If it is the same issue, you should see a "Windows API call WaitForMultipleObjects returned error code: 575." error in Event Viewer, but the problem should go away if you disable the 'Profile child processes' option under 'Additional profiler options'. Can you please give this a try?

If that does stop the crashing even with the latest version 9.5, please let me know as this should have been resolved in version 8.6 and later.

If not, can you please send an email to support@red-gate.com to open a support call, as this may be a different issue?

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?