How to setup profiling | CPU

vasuparvathamvasuparvatham Posts: 6
edited February 29, 2016 11:25AM in ANTS Memory Profiler 8
Hi Team,

We are currently experiencing high CPU Utilization on our PROD servers (all servers are in a restricted Data Center). FYI, our code was developed in .NET and hosted on IIS, everytime we experience high CPU, it will be sure w3wp process causing load.

We found that ANTS Profiler can help us in debugging the issue, so that we can do proper code changes if identified that this is an application issue.

Our plan is to install/setup this tool on any standby PROD server, there we can start profiling each server individually. Is this possible to implement? If yes, how the connectivity can be done between those? What are the ports this tool uses for connectivity?

Many thanks in advance, awaiting for your earliest response on this.

Regards,
Vasu

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi and thanks for your post!

Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, you have several servers that are running different IIS applications that all call on one other?

If this is the case, you can definitely do what you've described and install the profiler on each server (the profiler doesn't support remote profiling, I'm afraid, so it does need to be installed locally where the app to profiled is). You can then actually configure the profiler to start the sites on their original ports so that they will still connect with each other as normal, or you can start them on unused ports and just reconfigure the sites to connect to the others via those ports. For more on profiling IIS Web Applications, kindly take a look at the documentation here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... ion+on+IIS

I hope that info helps! Please let me know how you get on or if I've misunderstood anything.

(Also, just a note as I'm not sure if you meant to post to the forum for ANTS Performance Profiler, but if CPU is the main concern, you may find ANTS Performance Profiler more helpful for this!)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Hello Jessica,

Many thanks for the response.

CPU Utilization is the main problem we are currently facing.

As per your update, i understood that we have to install this profiler (ANTS Performance Profiler) on all those servers. Please correct me if am wrong.

And how about the licensing? We are looking to purchase for 1 year. With one license, in how many servers i can install this?

Please update.
    Hi!

That's right, the profiler does need to be installed on each server that you want to profile.

Regarding licensing, I've just sent sent you a message via the support ticket we have open for you (#59480) with more details on this--please let me know if you don't receive this!

• I didn't receive those details.please resend.
  • Hi Jessica,

Can you please send me more details about the Licensing ASAP.
    Hi Vasu!

I've just resent it and also sent it to you as a direct message to vasuparvatham--please let me know if any issues persist!

• Hi Jessica and Chris,

Do we have floating license?

Our requirement is: We will purchase a floating license and we will use it as per requirement on various machines.

Please confirm.

You can call me at +91-9959113135 for further discussions, we will purchase the license in next two days if you confirm this.

Regards,
    Vasu
    Hi Vasu,

I'm afraid we don't offer floating licenses. :/

We only have fixed per-user licenses, which means that you'll need to purchase a license for each user that will use the tools. Each user can still move the license around as needed on her/his different machines but the licenses will not automatically free up after they stop using the tools. They'll need to manually deactivate the tool on one machine so that it can be used again on another machine.

For instructions on deactivating, kindly take a look at the documentation here: https://documentation.red-gate.com/disp ... activating

I hope this info helps!