Options

RedGate.Response.UI.Server.Service.XspService restarting

eteunisseeteunisse Posts: 19 Bronze 1
edited February 9, 2016 3:57AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
When I look in the application logs I see e frequent error:
2016-01-26 10:02:25,105 [7] ERROR RedGate.Response.UI.Server.Service.XspService [(null)] - XSP exited, restarting XSP...

I could not find much about this with google, so my hopes are here. ;)
Anyone know why this happens and how to solve this.

Comments

• Options
    Hi eteunisse,

Thanks for posting in the Redgate forums.

Can you provide some more details on the symptoms you are seeing please.

Is the SQL Monitor website accessible when this error is occurring? How often does this occur? If the service restarts how long does it run for before it stops again?

When you created this forum post a support ticket was created for you, within that support ticket I will ask you to send over the SQL Monitor log files.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • Options
    The error occurs sometimes six times in 5 minutes, but then not again for several hours.
    They do not occur during a specific time of the day.
    The monitoring website sometimes is not available. I don't know if that is around the time of the error. One or two refreshes usually does the trick.

I do have the following error in the application log. This ones shows up even more frequent (every hour it looks like and then several times in a minute)
    Don't know if it's related.

2016-01-28 04:47:57,898 [83] ERROR RedGate.Response.Common.Utilities.ErrorReporting.ErrorReporter [(null)] - System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.RunParser(BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.CopyBatchesAsyncContinuedOnSuccess(BulkCopySimpleResultSet internalResults, String updateBulkCommandText, CancellationToken cts, TaskCompletionSource`1 source)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.CopyBatchesAsyncContinued(BulkCopySimpleResultSet internalResults, String updateBulkCommandText, CancellationToken cts, TaskCompletionSource`1 source)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.CopyBatchesAsync(BulkCopySimpleResultSet internalResults, String updateBulkCommandText, CancellationToken cts, TaskCompletionSource`1 source)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternalRestContinuedAsync(BulkCopySimpleResultSet internalResults, CancellationToken cts, TaskCompletionSource`1 source)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternalRestAsync(CancellationToken cts, TaskCompletionSource`1 source)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServerInternalAsync(CancellationToken ctoken)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteRowSourceToServerAsync(Int32 columnCount, CancellationToken ctoken)
    at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlBulkCopy.WriteToServer(DataTable table, DataRowState rowState)
    at RedGate.Response.Common.Utilities.Sql.SqlBulkCopyExtensions.WriteToServerFast(ISqlBulkCopy sqlBulkCopy, DataTable dataTable, Func`2 swallowIf)
    at RedGate.Response.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Repositories.Sql.SqlRepositoryDataCommitter.BulkCopy(IDbConnection connection, IEnumerable`1 channelAndTableNameToDataTable)
    at RedGate.Response.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Repositories.Sql.SqlRepositoryDataCommitter.CommitToDataRepository(SqlDataRepositoryCommits repositoryCommits)
    at RedGate.Response.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Repositories.Sql.SqlRepositoryDataMerger.Merge(ChannelTree`1 rootQueryTree, Channel rootChannel, IEnumerable`1 maintenanceWindows)
    at RedGate.Response.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Collection.DataCollector.CollectChannel(ChannelInstanceRef channelInstanceRef, String jobName, ChannelTree`1 rootQueryTree, ChannelTree`1 sideEffectTree, Boolean recurse)
    at RedGate.Response.Engine.Monitoring.Core.Collection.DataCollector.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<Schedule>b__0()
    at RedGate.Response.Common.Utilities.Scheduling.JobRunner.RunAndReschedule(JobRescheduleEvent jobRescheduleEvent)
    ClientConnectionId:083562f5-afad-47f4-876b-4a043f1e26a0
    Error Number:-2,State:0,Class:11
  • Options
    Hi eteunisse,

Which version of SQL Monitor is this occurring for? You can double check this via the configuration>about page.

In instances where the XSP service is failing it can be useful to switch to hosting the website via IIS, documentation on that can be found here http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... r+with+IIS.

Please let me know if this is an option in your environment?
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
  • Options
    I just updated last week from 5.0 to 5.05 and later to 5.06..
    When I saw the errors, I saw a newer version and updated. So the errors occur in 5.0, 5.05 and 5.06

I just had a unresponsive website. (Configure alerts)
    After a few refreshes, The requested page did appear.
    Had a look at the application log and the restarting error was logged about ten times in 3 minutes.
  • Options
    Hi eteunisse,

There are a handful of other people who have seen this behaviour in previous versions of SQL monitor. The XSP service is a third party tool we use to host the website. In cases like this debugging the tool can be difficult as we have no other information than the event log error message.

Moving to IIS would be the first solution as this removes the XSP service from the equation. If you could review this and let me know if it's feasible and if you need any assistance setting it up. Documentation for IIS can be found here http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... r+with+IIS.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
  • Options
    Configured SQL Monitor to use IIS. It's up and running.
    Now working with it for a couple of days and see if I notice improvement.
  • Options
    Running IIS did improve the stability of the SQL monitor web site.
    It also looks like it improved the performance of the website.
  • Options
    Hi eteunisse,

I'm glad running the website has improved things your end.

I will keep the support call open for around a week, in case you have any further problems with IIS. Please do contact me if you need any further help.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge