Options

Pulling out Backup Failure information

wan-der-dogwan-der-dog Posts: 2
edited January 12, 2016 8:51AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi all,

I have searched around and I cant find a satisfactory response to my question so figured I would ask it here. I know that there is a Reporting function within the SQL Backup GUI for pulling out failed backups however it is not giving me enough information and I cannot easily monitor it externally.

Is there a better way of identifying failed backups and pulling out what backup and what type of backup operation, when and why a backup operation failed? In the past this was a pain to report on as I would have to check for return codes for backup tasks which means the best I could get is that a backup job failed, this job would cover multiple databases and then require manually looking in the tool to ascertain what went wrong. Not particularly slick. Is there a better way?

Comments

• Options
    Hi wan-der-dog,

Thanks for posting on the Redgate forums.

The reporting tool cannot be run externally as you mention, which further information would you require the report to show.

You can use the activity history tab within SQL backup to view failed backups. You could also setup an email to be alerted when a backup job fails. Would either of these methods resolve the issue you are seeing?
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software