Options

Determining the number of objects being migrated

kfilipowskykfilipowsky Posts: 14
edited December 15, 2006 11:14AM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
If I intend to migrate 1 database object, but the API includes a dependent object(because it changed), is it a reliable to use something like work.messages.count>1 to determine that additional objects are being included?

I really just need to be sure if additional (dependent) objects are being included in the SQL creation process when I intended to only migrate 1. Those additional objects will have to flow through our CMS approval process is why I'm asking. I'm working in a Federally Regulated Environment.

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Karl,

I definitely wouldn't use the message count. There are plenty of reasons for displaying warnings before synchronization.

I can't find an interface in the SQLCompare.Engine that shows dependencies on an object, so I'd assume that whatever does this in SQL Compare is for 'internal use only'.

If you're migrating relatively few objects, what I would suggest is keep the list of objects that you want to migrate in an ArrayList or a Hashatble, then when you compare databases, loop through the differences and report on objects that appear in the differences collection, but not in your own list. These must be dependencies of the objects that you have chosen to migrate.
  • Options
    That wont work because there may be several developers working on the source database and there may be many differences. This utility will migrate exactly 1 BD object at a time.

What I'm thinking of doing is marking all Differences as False after the comparrasion. Then selecting only the single intended object for migration. When I create the Work Object, I've "Observed" it generates the Batch(s) for the intended object and all the dependents. I haven't been able to make sense out of the Batche objects yet but It sure "Looks" like work.messages.count would work

If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance