Options

7.7.0.18 keeps trying to delete non-existent log files

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited December 15, 2015 9:16PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQL Backup on a QA server was failing for about 3 weeks. During that time it created a ton of non-GUID-suffixed f.log files and a load more GUID-suffixed .log files in the ProgramData.. folder.

Now it thinks it has to whack them every time a backup of the tranlog runs, so instead of a few seconds, each execution takes 45 MINUTES!

Please tell me how to stop this - I have THREE, large, databases where this is constantly happening... as in, the log for just one backup exec is 9,681 lines long, of which, over 9,600 lines are about these .log files!
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    If the log files are empty or redundant, you can delete them manually.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Hi Peter

Permissions, perhaps? Oh, yes. Yet another by-product of the 669 error induced by changing the service account...

And there's nothing in the Warnings output to the SQL Backup log that even whispers about "Admin privileges required to delete this file", which I only found out when I tried to manually nuke the things (13,700+)!

Looks like the reason for failure needs to be published, not quashed...

Perhaps I should say that due to the four log backup jobs executing as I write, each hunting down hundreds upon hundreds of files to delete (again), the simple "restore a database from a COPY_ONLY backup" for a DB of only 180GB, is spinning its ugly wheels for over ten minutes and counting. Can we say that this BUG is rendering the tool UTTERLY USELESS for normal activities ALL DAY EVERY DAY!

I'm tired of waiting for it to give me an update - TWENTY FIVE MINUTES on the server where the DB backups are local, and the instance is local, is ENOUGH! Goodnight!
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...