Multi-Database Issues

csuirecsuire Posts: 25 Bronze 3
edited December 11, 2015 11:35AM in SQL Search
SQLSearch2 sometimes detects the current database.
Othertimes it defaults to all databases.

For servers with LOTS of database, it can be annoying when it defaults to all databases.
The UI does not allow you to type a specific database name into the dropdown to aid in finding a specific database, which results in lots of scrolling.

When the SQL Search 2 database control has focus. Can you add support for typing the name of the database and have it narrow down the list as you type, and without using the mouse, select a specific database from the list.

Maybe also add an option to prevent SQL Search 2 from defaulting to All Databases. When the option it turned on, it would default to no database -- or be better at detecting the current database.

Comments

• csuire wrote:
    SQLSearch2 sometimes detects the current database.
    Othertimes it defaults to all databases.

For servers with LOTS of database, it can be annoying when it defaults to all databases.
    The UI does not allow you to type a specific database name into the dropdown to aid in finding a specific database, which results in lots of scrolling.

When the SQL Search 2 database control has focus. Can you add support for typing the name of the database and have it narrow down the list as you type, and without using the mouse, select a specific database from the list.

Maybe also add an option to prevent SQL Search 2 from defaulting to All Databases. When the option it turned on, it would default to no database -- or be better at detecting the current database.

I agree with the OP that the behaviour of SQL Search to sometimes default to "all databases" is an issue.
    I could live with the extra scrolling and having to deselect and select databases, but the real problem is that when all databases are selected, SQL Search starts to index all those databases. On a server with 300+ databases that takes a lot of RAM on the client and eventually leads to SQL Search crashing and me having to restart SSMS.

Could you please fix this? I think SQL Search should either never default to "all databases" or have an option to disable automatic indexing of selected databases.
    Thanks.
  • GDubGDub Posts: 2 New member
    I also agree with OP that the default database behavior could be improved. Allowing users to designate a default set, or simply remembering the last set might be a good start. See also https://forums.red-gate.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=78417&p=138006&hilit=default#p138006.

• I agree with the OP that the behaviour of SQL Search to sometimes default to "all databases" is an issue.
    I could live with the extra scrolling and having to deselect and select databases, but the real problem is that when all databases are selected, SQL Search starts to index all those databases. On a server with 300+ databases that takes a lot of RAM on the client and eventually leads to SQL Search crashing and me having to restart SSMS.

Could you please fix this? I think SQL Search should either never default to "all databases" or have an option to disable automatic indexing of selected databases.
    Thanks.

I agree with all of this. Either create an option that gives users control over what is indexed, or change the default behavior to index nothing in advance.

I have no problem if SQL Search needs some time to index databases being queried the first time it looks at them, if it means it won't crash SSMS on a regular basis.