How to change port when profiling memory of web application

I need to profile a production server under load so I need to use port 80. However, ANTS Profiler keeps insisting on using port 8013 even when I told it to profile http://localhost:80. How do I change this behavior?
Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

Can I ask you what version of IIS you're using? If you're running IIS6, we profile on port 8013 to avoid restarting IIS (to avoid disruption to other sites that might be running on the server at the same time).

One "workaround", which I admit might not be particularly great for you, would be to configure your web server to run in "IIS5 Isolation Mode" - at this point we do have to restart IIS to start profiling, but should at least profile on the normal port.

Hope that helps,
    Rob
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • Hi Rob,

Yes, I am using IIS6. Unfortunately since this is a production server, I am not allowed to reconfigure IIS. It's hard enough just to get permission to run ANTS profiler on it.

I understand the need to profile on a different port to avoid disruption. But for future ANTS Profiler versions, may I suggest that this port be configurable so that I have control of it in cases like this?

Thank you,
    Thanh
  • Hi,

It is possible to change the "alternate port" we use when profiling, though not to one that's already in use. You can set it as follows:

- Run RegEdit.exe
    - Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler
    - Create a new value (if it doesn't already exist) "IIS6Port", with the port you'd like to use
    - Start profiling

I don't know if this will be any good to you, since you'd have to first stop any services already using port 80 in order to use that, but it might help!

Rob
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate
  • I tried creating an IIS6Port registry value as described and it had no effect, even after bouncing the ANTS Profiler service. I tried both a String and a DWORD registry value, for the value 80. ANTS Profiler still opened an IE instance with URL http://localhost:8013/....
  • Sorry - I think that should be HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE rather than HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
    Robert Chipperfield
    Red Gate