SQL Prompt Hangs in Loop

JosefJosef Posts: 11 New member
edited November 10, 2015 2:46PM in SQL Prompt
Something changed recently that's causing SQL Prompt to put itself into a loop on certain databases. I'm running version 7.0.0.62 and, when I attempt to open a new query window in SSMS for my three development databases, SSMS seems to hang. Profiler shows that SQL Prompt seems to keep looping through the same set of queries over and over again. I can open new query windows against other databases but these three are causing problems. These three databases are mirrored, this server is the principal for the databases and I can open a query window in a different database and then change databases to one of three and SQL Prompt seems to work fine in those cases but it's frustrating not being able to just open a new query window in the database and be able to use it.

Comments

• Hi Josef,

I'll set up a mirrored environment today and see if there's anything obvious that could be causing this. Do you get the problem when you're connecting to both the principle and mirrored databases?

Best regards,

David
  • JosefJosef Posts: 11 New member
    I had no problem connecting to the mirrored database.

And I have no problem connecting to our production server's principle databases which are set up the same way as the ones I get the loop on.
  • Hi Josef,

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce this in my test environment. Could you send me the queries that are being repeated through to my email at david.priddle@red-gate.com?

Best regards,

David
    David,

I sent you an email with the queries yesterday afternoon.
  • Hi Josef,

Thanks for sending that through!

Do you have any other addins installed into SSMS? I'm wondering if there's another product that could be causing this. I can't find anything in SQL Prompt that has a difference in behaviour between directly connecting to a database and switching to it later. Could you let me know if you're using SQL Source Control?

Best regards,

David
    I've got the entire toolbelt installed:
    * Sql Test
    * Sql Source Control
    * Sql Search
    * Sql Doc 3
    * Sql Dependency Tracker 0
    * SqlDataGeneratorSSMSIntegration
  • Hi Josef,

If you hold down Shift + Alt when starting up SSMS, SQL Prompt won't be loaded into the environment. If it still hangs, we can discount SQL Prompt from causing the problem.

The other product that could be causing an issue is SQL Source Control. If you uninstall SQL Source Control (after backing up the source control directory in %localappdata%Red GateSQL Source Control 4), does the issue still exist?

Best regards,

David
    I have no idea... I changed my server connection to this server to use TCPIP and it all works now.

Thanks for your help
    Actually... No, it still hung.. but, if I start with Shift Alt (not sure why this didn't work before), I can open query windows from that database. If I don't, then it hangs. Is there anyway I can turn on diagnostics for you?

I'm running SSMS 12.0.4100.1, latest SQL Prompt and the database is

Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3128.0 (X64)
    Dec 28 2012 20:23:12
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: ) (Hypervisor)

Our production server, where I'm not having any problems is
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (SP1) - 11.0.3000.0 (X64)
    Oct 19 2012 13:38:57
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: )

Not sure if that is significant
  • Hi Josef,

If, as soon as you start up (but don't open a query) turn on SQL Prompt > Help > Verbose Logging, open a query so that it hangs, then send me the contents of the log through SQL Prompt > Help > Show Log, I'll see if there's anything obvious.

Thanks for your patience!

Best regards,

David
    David,

You have mail. And I love this tool. Having to work without it is truly crippling my productivity, so please, help me get this fixed.
  • Hi Josef,

Thanks for sending that through. It looks from the timings in the log file that the queries don't seem to be taking too long (about 2-3 seconds per database), even though the overall time is 12 seconds.

I also can't see any hints in there that signify that queries are being repeated. Did SSMS hang when you created this log file?

Thank you once again for your patience. I will do my best to get this resolved for you. I'm glad at least that you've found a workaround until we can get this sorted.

Best regards,

David
    I'm fairly sure... If you have go to meeting, we can set up something so you can see what's happening and make sure you get what you need to debug this.
  • Hi Josef,

I'll see if I can set up a goto meeting with one of our support team in the US.

Best regards,

David
  • Hello Josef,

David reached out to me so we could schedule a screen share session. I've also opened a support ticket for this issue which you should receive an email with the details shortly. I'll reach out to you through the ticket to schedule the meeting, thanks.
    Allen LeVan
    Red Gate Software
    US Product Support