Out of Memory Errors

lsnoverlsnover Posts: 4
edited October 5, 2015 8:03AM in Data Compare for Oracle
Hi Folks:

I'm a relatively new user of the Oracle Datacompare product. Trying to replicate a moderate sized Oracle DB. I am running on an WIndows 2012 R2 Server with 32GB of RAM. But I get through a few tables in the initial process and then get an out of memory error?!

What can I do to work around this?

Thanks,
LS

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi LS

Thank you for your forum post and sorry to read that you have encountered a problem.

By default, Data Compare for Oracle (along with other Redgate products such Schema Compare for Oracle, Source Control for Oracle and the Microsoft SQL Comparison products) uses the Windows Temp directory for the creation of its temporary files. If the drive allocated to the Windows OS has insufficient free disk space, users may encounter 'Out of Memory' errors.

If you have another disk available with plenty of free disk space available, you can set a new Environment Variable called RGTEMP. On start-up, our products check to see if the RGTEMP variable has been set and will use the path configured for this variable for the creation of the temporary files.

To configure the RGTEMP Environment Variable, please follow these steps:
      1. On different drive create a folder called RGTEMP. 2. Right click 'MyComputer' or 'ThisPC' and select properties. 3. Select 'Advanced system Settings'. 4. Click the 'Environment Variables' button. 5. In the 'System Variables' section, click the new button. 6. In the 'New System Variable' dialogue - Variable Name = RGTEMP Variable Value = <path to the RGTEMP folder created in step 1, for Example D:RGTEMP. 7. Press the OK button on each dialogue window for the change to take effect. PLEASE NOTE: The user maybe be required to re-boot the machine for the change to take effect

On starting Data Compare for Oracle, the product will use the new RGTEMP variable.

Also within Data Compare for Oracle you can take steps to reduce the amount of data you are comparing:
      1. Reduce the number of tables to be compared. 2. Create a 'Where' clause filter to further reduce the amount of data. 3. Reduce the number of columns to be compared for any given table.
    All the above can be achieved via the project configuration ->Tables & Views tab. However it may require performing two or more comparisons.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • I have a single drive (Raid 10) that has over 1TB of disk space available.

So I don't think the temp file directory is a problem, unless there is a issue with the file size itself.

My Oracle database is very small relative to many, so I'm a little upset about these errors.

Thanks,
    Lee
  • Also, I received a message that I should replace the third party Oracle Third Party Source Control Library. But the only installer I can find is labeled version 3.0. When I attempt to install this, the system tells me I already have that version or newer.

The link provided in the message is for the Trial version of the full tool, so it is unclear whether I should be redownloading the entire installation or just the Source Control library component.

Thank you,
    Lee