Reflector 8.3.3.115 check for update fails

LeakLeak Posts: 2
edited August 10, 2015 2:13AM in .NET Reflector Previous Versions
Running "Check for update" doesn't work anymore since the URL it is requesting (http://www.reflector.net/reflector/upda ... check.asmx) is now redirected to another site (http://update.red-gate.com/UpdateServer/check.asmx) and the update checker doesn't seem to follow redirects.

Also, I keep being offered an update to the Reflector Extension 8.4.0.1 in Visual Studio, but I'd rather not update to a different minor version than the stand-alone reflector application - and all I can find on the Reflector website is a version 8.3.3.115 installer.

So is there a new version of Reflector coming soon?

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hello,

Thanks for your post and so sorry about the update service! We're aware of the issue and should hopefully have it resolved soon.

In the meantime, if you're not using the latest Reflector desktop version already (it is still v8.3.3.115), you can get it from here:
    ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/ReflectorInstaller.zip (this link will always have the most recent version)

Regarding the extension, there was an update released just for the extension a few weeks ago which is why there is a difference in minor versions. This was just to provide VS 2014 support so if you're not using that VS version, there's no need to update. (You can get the extension from here:
    http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microso ... 45a452ad77)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• RichardDRichardD Posts: 50 Bronze 3
    We're aware of the issue and should hopefully have it resolved soon.
    28 days later, and the update service is still broken.

Any idea what definition of "soon" you're using?
  • chosteletchostelet Posts: 2 New member
    Hello,

Same question. When "soon" shall we get an update on NET Reflector.
    In peculiar, some enhancements on the async decompiling would be welcome.

Regards
  • RichardDRichardD Posts: 50 Bronze 3
    Still not working. Any news on the fix?
    Hi all,

So very sorry this hasn't been fixed yet!

Unfortunately, our team that works on the service has been pulled away by a few other major issues that have come up. Rest assured, we should have this fixed before any further releases go out.

Again, the latest release of the desktop version is still v8.3.3.115 which you can install from here: ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/ReflectorInstaller.zip

The latest release of the extension is v8.4.0.1, which you can install from here: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.micros ... 45a452ad77

(The v8.4 update for the extension was just to add support for VS2014 so that update will not make a difference unless you are using VS2014)

Apologies again for any troubles caused by this!

@chostelet Thanks for the feedback! What particular enhancements for the async decompilation were you interested in?

Hi all,

I'm happy to report that this issue has been resolved and so sorry again for how long it took!

Should any other issues come up with the Check for Updates service, please let us know!

• chosteletchostelet Posts: 2 New member
    Hi Jessica,

Sorry for not replying sooner to your question on async/await (I got no notification of replies).

The point is that .NET Reflector 8.5 (as of today) is not decompiling the async/await instructions at a high abstraction level. It simply shows the internal stuff generated by the compiler(saving and restoring the context, the automaton, with compiler-generated cryptic names and methods).

What next? I've noticed that Reflector 9 is on its way and is supposed to support the async/await idiosyncrasy. (and I hope that this release will be an update and not an upgrade - means free - given the long time Reflector 8 got no enhancement). I'm today a bit reluctant to try any beta version especially having freshly transitioned to VS2015, and seeing the burden to uninstall Reflector (see other threads on this topic), I really hesitate. However I can be convinced as I intend to transition the .NET 4.6 and C#6.

Thanks