I believe I have a profiler conflict -- please verify guid

stevedevstevedev Posts: 2
edited July 28, 2015 3:45PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 9
Does this cor_profiler guid belong to either ANTS Performance or Memory Profiler??

EF8A0CE7-A148-49B5-9AB8-A27579651B77

We run New Relic's own .net profiler in production and recently we used your tools to do a one-off profile of one of our .net standlone, custom service application.
Ever since we installed your tools our new relic agent has been unable to profile so I'm assuming this guid belong's to one of your apps. Your apps are currently not running on our box but are installed. When viewing cor_profiler env variable under the sys internals process viewer tool as Admin, we see the guid above, and not the correct profiler guid for new relic. I'm hoping / assuming that this guid belongs to one of your apps -- please verify.

If this is the case, will uninstall fix ? -- reboot required?

Currently we only see the above guid when we look at our service (recently profiled by ANTS) under the sys internals tool. We see the CORRECT guid for new relic under registry and when viewing the system env vars manually (This PC - Properties - Advanced - Env Vars panel)

Your feedback appreciated. Thx.

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi there and thanks for your post!

I believe that guid actually comes from our ANTS Memory Profiler. Either profiler should normally clean up after the cor_profiler environment variable once you stop a profiling session, but it is possible the variables can get left behind (this usually only happens though for Windows Services that happened to crash during profiling before we could "unhook" from the process).

However, you should be able to restore the normal environment of the service via regedit. Kindly:

- Click the start bar, then 'run', then type regedit and press enter.
    - Look for the short name of your service in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServices
    - Open the key that has the same name as your service, and in the right-hand pane, right-click Environment and select Modify.
    - Locate the entries COR_ENABLE_PROFILING=1 and COR_PROFILER={a GUID} and remove these name/value pairs from the registry value.

Then once you restart the service, the profiling variables should be cleared so that the New Relic profiler can hook into the process.

I hope that helps but please let me know if any issues persist!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?