Bad behaviour in Backup 7.7.0.18

grumpydbagrumpydba Posts: 5
edited June 24, 2015 6:40AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We were caught out using the GUI to do a restore the other day.

Select the server you wish to restore to (a dev server)
click restore
change to the source server (the prod server)
select backup you want
next next next
click run

result... restores over prod.

Not cool.

To be fair it is just recreating the functionality from the restore button on top of the gui and it does tell you where it is restoring too, but this is really terrible UX design.

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

It is not immediately obvious when you have a requirement to restore a backup file to a different server. I hope this did not cause you too many problems.

You need to change the drop down from "Select from backup history" to "Browse for backup files to restore" on step 1 of the Restore Wizard.

A support ticket has bee created for HERE. I will email the instructions on how to restore a backup file to a different server.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • It did cause me a problem yes.

I do not need the assistance in restoring a database thanks.

This thread is a complaint and a product suggestion about unexpected behaviour when using the GUI, i.e. bad UX design.
    Typically speaking I never use GUIs for anything, but the day in question I did... :(

I will not make the same mistake twice, however I'm sure others will be caught out by it!
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

I do understand the point you are raising. The steps in the Restore Wizard to restore a backup file created by a different server are not easily found and I agree with you it is not good UX practise.

I have added the details of this support call and forum post to an existing Bug Report / Feature Request topic. The reference for this topic is SB-3333.

Hopefully this problem you reported will be addressed in a future version of SQL Backup Pro. Sadly I do not have an ETA as to when this will occur. Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com