SQL Prompt 6.5.0.336

Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
edited July 20, 2015 8:24AM in SQL Prompt
SQL Prompt 6.5.0.336 - 11th June 2015

This build of SQL Prompt includes:
  • Tab coloring improvements (UserVoice and experimental feature feedback)
  • GROUP BY and ORDER BY suggestions improvements (UserVoice, UserVoice and UserVoice)
  • Import/export all options (UserVoice)
  • SQLCMD mode support (UserVoice and UserVoice)
  • Format actions (Forum post)
  • "Add brackets to all identifiers" format action (UserVoice)
  • Azure v12 suggestions
  • Improvements to closing parentheses behavior (UserVoice)
  • Temporary tables and their columns can now be renamed with F2
  • "Close All Unmodified" context menu item on tabs
  • Full suggestions for cross-database queries (Forum post)
  • Useful keywords are promoted to the top of the suggestions. For example, SELECT is shown above SAVE
Download this release

Full release notes

Feedback
If you have any problems with this release, please post them on this forum.

If you have any suggestions for improvements, please post them on our suggestions forum so other users can vote for them.

Version history
6.5.0.336 - 11th June
  • Fix for duplicate menu items when alternating between Management Studio 2012 and 2014
6.5.0.335 - 22nd May
  • Webroot anti-virus software no longer reports SQLPrompt.VSUI.dll as a potentially unwanted program (Forum post)
6.5.0.334 - 19th May
  • Support ticket 42211: Tab coloring now colors the active tab correctly if only the database name is displayed in the title
  • Insert semicolons no longer inserts a semicolon after an index definition in a memory optimized table
6.5.0.332 - 14th May
  • Built in aggregate functions are no longer enclosed in square brackets (UserVoice)
  • SP-3909: Smart rename no longer drops check constraints when renaming a table
6.5.0.330 - 5th May
  • Support ticket 40949: Qualify object names no longer removes table name qualification when it would result in an ambiguous column name
  • Support ticket 40362: Some commands are no longer recreated every startup
  • SP-5380: ArgumentNullException "Value cannot be null." is no longer thrown by tab coloring
  • SP-5365: InvalidCastException is no longer thrown when using "Close all Unmodified" tabs command
  • SP-5363: InvalidOperationException is no longer thrown when adding new tab coloring environments
6.5.0.326 - 8th April
  • Columns defined after a table constraint in a table-valued variable are now suggested
  • ROW_NUMBER() tooltip now displays return type bigint (Forum post)
  • "Close All With No Changes" renamed to "Close All Unmodified" (Twitter)
  • SP-5172: Argument out of range exception when completing an aliased column in a subquery
6.5.0.323 - 30th March
  • Find invalid objects now reports calls to missing functions in SET statements
  • Semicolons are no longer incorrectly inserted after a partial statement selection (Forum post)
  • SP-5296: Null reference exception when script contains trigger on view that doesn't exist in the database
6.5.0.320 - 26th March
  • Initial release

Comments

• sdkssdks Posts: 44 Bronze 2
    Tab coloring is not working on SSDT. Is it a bug or VS does not support such features?
  • Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi sdks,

Tab coloring currently supports SSMS2012 and SSMS2014 so it's not available in SSDT. We've got a UserVoice request to add support in Visual Studio here, so please add your vote to it.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • I updated to this version yesterday and upon starting SSMS today, I get the ff error:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    The Add-in 'SQL Prompt 6' failed to load or caused an exception.
    Would you like to remove this Add-in?
    If you choose yes, the file it was loaded from, 'C:ProgramDataMicrosoftSQL Server Management Studio11.0\AddinsRedGate.SQLPrompt.SSMSUI.2011.AddIn', will be renamed.

Error Message: <Unknown Error>
    Error number: 80131604
    Yes No

Please advise.
    Hi Ben,

Just to check I understand what's happened: 6.5 was working immediately after you installed it but broke a day later with this error message?

The error message itself is pretty vague and it's what SSMS shows when it fails to load an addin, however this could be for a number of reasons. If it was working and then broke there's a small chance the installation became corrupted (in which case a reinstall or repair should fix it), or even an anti-virus program decided one of our dlls was suspicious and quarantined it.

We received your uninstall feedback that you've tried reinstalling 6.4 - did that help?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • MobyDXMobyDX Posts: 2 New member
    The cross-database suggestions seem to cause completions to explicitly reference the database-name when the database contains a schema with the same name. I have a database with the name ERP which, unfortunately, also has a schema called ERP. When I start typing "ERP." I correctly get a list of tables in that schema, but when I select one of them, it expands this to "ERP.ERP.<table-name>", i.e. specifying both the database-name and the schema-name. If I use auto-complete without typing "ERP." first (i.e. just start typing the first letters of the table-name), it only adds the schema-name, as before.
    This can be quite dangerous if it goes unnoticed by whoever writes it. (For example if a stored procedure referencing "ERP.ERP.some_table" is run in database "ERP_test" on a server which also contains a database called "ERP").
    Hi MobyDX,

Thanks for pointing this out - I agree that this could be confusing. We've just put in a fix in our beta build which will disable the full database suggestions if a schema of the same name exists. Please give it a try and let me know if this fixes it for you.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • MobyDXMobyDX Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks. I have installed the beta and it seems much "safer" :-)