Find invalid objects via SQL

marc.durandmarc.durand Posts: 2 New member
edited July 13, 2015 7:34PM in SQL Prompt
Is it possible to find invalid objects using a SQL statement instead of using the UI? I'm looking to automate our build/install/test process and would like to find invalid objects by using osql from the command line. Can SQL Prompt's Find Invalid Objects functionality be triggered that way?

Thanks!

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Marc,

There's no way to trigger find invalid objects directly from SQL at the moment. We are doing some minor improvements to find invalid objects for the next release of Prompt and so I'm wondering if we could include some changes to help you. What would be the ideal way that this would work for you?

Any more details on what you'd like to use it for would be really useful!

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Hello Aaron,

I would also like this feature. As part of our production deployment process I would like to be able to confirm via a SQL statement that there are no-invalid objects in *ANY* of the production user databases. If there was an output which confirmed the results that we could keep for SOC purposes (i.e. Database Name checked and the results) that would be very helpful. Right now i have to do each data base one at a time and take a screen print for the documentation and this is time consuming.

Thank you!
  • Hello Aaron,

I would also like this feature. As part of our production deployment process I would like to be able to confirm via a SQL statement that there are no-invalid objects in *ANY* of the production user databases. If there was an output which confirmed the results that we could keep for SOC purposes (i.e. Database Name checked and the results) that would be very helpful. Right now i have to do each data base one at a time and take a screen print for the documentation and this is time consuming.

Thank you!

Hi - I've emailed you a workaround directly.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • jamieburnsjamieburns Posts: 6 Bronze 1
    I realise this is a few years old now, but I'm trying to do the same thing. Has there been any progress on this since this was originally raised?
  • I'm thinking of using Prompt's 'find invalid objects' feature instead of a 'build' on a database project in visual studio - so will keep an eye on this one as well. we've got the ball rolling on purchasing sql prompt licenses for everyone and I think, as a team, we will eventually abandon database projects in VS and go back to SSMS.
  • RaynaldRaynald Posts: 2 New member
    Hello Aaron,

Thank you!
    I am also trying to achieve the same goal. We have 3 environments with a lot of databases and this would be very helpful. 
    Is there any known workaround or progess since 2018?

Thank you in advance
  • Hi @Raynald

Thanks for your comment on this. 

I'm engaging with our development to get an update on this. I will come back to you again as soon as possible.
    Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Hi @Raynald,

Unfortunately this functionality had not yet been added, I have however re-highlighted this to our development team for their visibility.

There has also been a feature request raised for this - https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/94413-sql-prompt/suggestions/42693359-find-invalid-objects-in-multiple-databases. It would be good if you comment and/or vote for as this will further help to raise awareness of it.

Kind regards

Dan Jary | Redgate Software
    Have you visited our Help Center?
  • RaynaldRaynald Posts: 2 New member
    Hi @Dan_J
    Thank you very much for your answer