Backup Fail question

dpullmandpullman Posts: 3
edited June 9, 2015 3:49AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Good morning,

I am new to the forum ( and SQL almost a year in) so forgive me if I ask too many questions.

I was wondering if I am backing up multiple databases on a server in one back up job and say the 3rd back up fails will the job stop and NOT back up the rest of the databases? Below is the script from the back up job.

EXECUTE master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASES [master,model,msdb,distribution,SMXP,emsl_Admin,emsl_Core,emsl_Replication,emsl_UnitReport,SMXPTemp,visualguarddb] TO DISK = ''\hqsql18g$SQLBackupsHQSQL8_PUBLISHERFullBackup<AUTO>.sqb'' WITH MAILTO = ''dba@emsl.com'', CHECKSUM, DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 60, DISKRETRYCOUNT = 1, COMPRESSION = 2"'

Thank you,
Dan

Comments

• Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry.
    The job will typically not complete and should show up as Failed in the Activity History tab of the SQL Backup GUI.
    When you are backing up multiple databases via SQL Backup there should be multiple SQBs generated. For example, if there are 3 databases being backed up, there should be 3 SQBs generated. In the case where one of the DBs has an issue (for example, it is offline for whatever reason), you should still have two SQBs generated for the other DBs that are ok.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks

Rick
    Ricky Ram
    Technical Support
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Thank you Rick,

So best practice is to have a SQB for each data base on a server. I appreciate your help!

Dan
  • I got the same problem same as dpullman last week, I follow your instructions rick and it works
    cheers for that :roll:

Maria
    Dogs never bite me. Just humans. Rawrrr I love My American Bully