Base Monitor Startup Error

rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
edited April 20, 2015 4:51PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Last week, I installed Base Monitor and Web Server on a VM. I used the installer to create the monitor database on one of my utility SQL instances.
All components are installed on Windows 2008R2 SP1 and SQL2008R2 and using a Domain Account created specifically for this purpose. The Domain account is a member of the Local Server Admins on the Base Monitor VM and a member of the SysAdmin Fixed Server Role on the SQL instance.
Everything was working fine last week including using a browser from my desktop workstation as well as a browser on the Base Monitor VM. This weekend I received a dialog that "No Servers are being monitored" on the Overview page. I had previously been monitoring 4 servers with 7 instances. I stumbled through a number of things trying to regain the servers and finally "removed" them and "re-added" them.
I checked the Base Monitor Server and noticed the Base Monitor Service is not running. When I try to start it I receive the following in the Red Gate Event Log
Log Name: Red Gate Software
Source: SQL Monitor 4
Date: 4/20/2015 11:03:17 AM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: <My Computer FQDN>
Description:
2015-04-20 16:03:17,614 [13] ERROR RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.DependencyInjection.BmConnectionWebDependencies [(null)] - Failed to establish RPC connection to base monitor
#9GOc.#dkv: Couldn't connect to Base Monitor ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:7399
at System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient.Connect(String hostname, Int32 port)
at RedGate.Response.Common.Networking.Client.RpcSynchronousTcpChannel..ctor(String , Int32 , X509Certificate , RpcVersion )
at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.BaseMonitorConnection..ctor(ProxyGenerator proxyGenerator, X509Certificate certificate, BaseMonitorLocation location, Func`2 isStateOk)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.BaseMonitorConnection..ctor(ProxyGenerator proxyGenerator, X509Certificate certificate, BaseMonitorLocation location, Func`2 isStateOk)
at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.BaseMonitorConnectionFactory.Build()
at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.DependencyInjection.BmConnectionWebDependencies.TryInitRpc()

I also found this in the Windows Security Event log.

An account failed to log on.
Subject:
Security ID: SYSTEM
Account Name: <MachineName$>
Account Domain: <MyDomain>
Logon ID: 0x3e7

Logon Type: 5

Account For Which Logon Failed:
Security ID: NULL SID
Account Name: <my Service Account>
Account Domain: <my Domain>
Failure Information:
Failure Reason: The user has not been granted the requested logon type at this machine.
Sub Status: 0x0

Process Information:
Caller Process ID: 0x1f4
Caller Process Name: C:WindowsSystem32services.exe
Ray Herring

Comments

• rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
    Apparently part of the issue was the Domain accounts credentials. I reentered the password on the Service Account and the Base Monitor service started correctly.

However, I still have the information dialog on the Global Overview page that says "You are not currently monitoring any servers." even though the Monitored Servers page shows two servers and 4 instances.
    Ray Herring
  • rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
    I uninstalled and re-installed the whole thing and it seems to be working now.
    Ray Herring