SQL Compare and FIPS Compliance

NeilSNeilS Posts: 2
edited April 19, 2015 9:55AM in SQL Compare 11
Is SQL Compare 11 FIPS Compliant?
If not, do you intend to make this product FIPS compliant?

I have searched the forums and have seen the workarounds for turning off FIPS compliance. Unfortunately, that's not an option for my situation.

Comments

• There was a bug in older versions of SQL Compare (and SQL Data Compare) that meant they wouldn't work with the Windows security option “System Cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.” enabled. However, you'll be glad to hear that that bug was fixed in version 11.0, and both products should now work correctly with the FIPS option enabled.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Other pieces of the Red Gate Tools do not currently adhere to FIPS compliance. While Microsoft (http://blogs.technet.com/b/secguide/arc ... ymore.aspx) no longer recommends FIPS compliance, the government requires it. This makes many of the tools used in the Red Gate suite non-compliant and non-workable. As there are no future plans to change government compliance rules, it would be nice to see suggestions here for methods that can be used to monitor sql blocking and locking that approximate the efficiency of SQL Monitor.

For example, a method that provides sys.dm_tran_locks joined to sys.dm_exec_sessions on request_session_id to session_id and left joins the sys.dm_exec_requests cross applied to the session_id's sys.dm_exec_sql_text(sql_handle) might help to provide some of the more serious information. Duration time is also important as is the tracking of job failures. It may all seem simple at the query level, but putting together something as comprehensive as was provided by SQL Monitor is not simple.

So, if there are suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks