BrujahBrujah Posts: 22 Bronze 2
edited March 5, 2015 12:23PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi

When using Sql Compare 10 thru command line, I got in my output:
EXEC sp_refreshview N'[Schema].[Name]'
for every view in my database

Is there a way to disable this?

I'm using it to compare 2 SQL Source Control scripts folders

C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Compare 10\SQLCompare.exe /scr1:"C:\dB52WorkDir\Jenkins217209\Trunk\sql\Redgate" /scr2:"C:\dB52WorkDir\Jenkins217209\Tag\sql\Redgate" /Options:Default,CaseSensitiveObjectDefinition,DoNotOutputCommentHeader /ScriptFile:"C:\dB52WorkDir\Jenkins217209\Change.sql" /Include:Identical /Force

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If I remember correctly, a side-effect of using /Include:Identical is that all views are refreshed. Omitting this will script a refresh view only for views that are different.
  • BrujahBrujah Posts: 22 Bronze 2
    Hi brain

I've included this switch to suppress the exit code if the two data sources are identical.

"If /Include:Identical is not set, and the data sources are identical, SQL Compare returns the error code 63."

is there a way to to suppress this error code, but get rid off the sp_refreshview ?

Thanks
    That could be a problem. In the past, I have suggested wrapping the command into a batch file and then at the end, check for %ERRORLEVEL%==63 and then EXIT /B with error code 0.
    SQLCompare.exe /db1:...
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 63 GOTO EQUAL 
    EXIT /B %ERRORLEVEL%
    EQUAL:
    EXIT /B 0

SQL Compare 10.1 now has an /assertidentical switch that will prevent the exec tasks from failing on identical databases.
  • hugohugo Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    SQL Compare 10.1 now has an /assertidentical switch that will prevent the exec tasks from failing on identical databases.

Apparently this patch "suggest" I need to buy version 10.1? or is version 10 free for those of us having version 9?
    Hi Hugo,

If you have a support agreement that was current at the time of the upgrade, you would get major upgrades for free. Usually a major-version is a paid upgrade.

Just to clarify, this is not a patch or a bugfix - it is a change in design because something that had been acceptable behavior previously is now unwanted simply because of the selling of Continuous Integration that we are currently engaged in.

If you want to keep the current version, there is still the option of wrapping the compare task into a batch file as I'd mentioned previously.
    Sorry -- sp_refreshiew being added, probably a bug.
    Error code 63 unless you use /Include:Identical, a design issue.
  • Hi there

I think this behaviour is improved in our latest Frequent Updates release (11.1.7.47) - Compare should now refresh views less often; it will no longer refresh views unrelated to the deployment and will refresh no views if the 'Include Dependencies' option is disabled