Reconfigure SQL Server Components

itsdannyitsdanny Posts: 12
edited February 25, 2015 11:12AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi, is it possible to reconfigure the server components (as it runs under the wrong account), without uninstalling/installing it again.
The reason I ask if that when i run a restore job, it shows it trying to run as the wrong account (some account with almost no rights), rather than say me (which I've put in just to try and get this working.
the back up from Server 1 is fine, no issues, it's the restore on Server 2, that I can't get the party started on.
Any help appreciated
regards,
Dan

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup runs as a Windows service, so you'll need to look for a 'SQL Backup Agent - (instance name)' entry in the list of Windows Component Services, and change the service logon account. Stop the service first before making the change, and start the service after that.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi, I've done that but it still runs under the wrong user name. In the 'Activity History' log it shows as [someuser], when I've set the back service to run under my account [itsdanny] and [itsdanny] is the user i'm logged on as on my PC. I can guarantee the file is there etc. I did have a restore working under version 6 components.

SQL Backup log file 7.7.0.7

-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [syslive] FROM DISK = 'M:sysliveperiodend_syslive.sqb' WITH RECOVERY, DISCONNECT_EXISTING, MOVE 'syslivelog' TO 'F:MSSQLLOGSsyslive.ldf', REPLACE, CHECKDB = 'NO_INFOMSGS, ALL_ERRORMSGS' "

-----------------------------  ERRORS AND WARNINGS -----------------------------

2/25/2015 9:01:34 AM: Restoring syslive (database) from: 
    2/25/2015 9:01:34 AM:   M:sysliveperiodend_syslive.sqb

2/25/2015 9:01:34 AM: Error 890: RESTORE DATABASE permission denied for database:  (syslive)
    2/25/2015 9:01:34 AM: SQL error 913: Could not find database ID 15. Database may not be activated yet or may be in transition. Reissue the query once the database is available. If you do not think this error is due to a database that is transitioning its 
     state and this error continues to occur, contact your primary support provider. Please have available for review the Microsoft SQL Server error log and any additional information relevant to the circumstances when the error occurred.

Does the [syslive] database already exist? What happens if you try restoring the database without using the DISCONNECT_EXISTING option?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Hi, yes the DB already exists. If I remove the DISCONNECT_EXISTING option, I get the same error.
    Thanks,
    Dan
    Could you please post the result of running this query on the instance where you are trying to restore the syslive database on?
    SELECT name, DATALENGTH(name), database_id, user_access_desc, state_desc FROM sys.databases WHERE name = 'syslive'

Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Here you go:
    syslive	14	15	MULTI_USER	ONLINE

Could you please start SQL Profiler, and trace the SQL Backup activity when you run the restore? What user account is it using to run the queries, and what is the last query that's ran?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • HI Peter, it runs under my account, so the 'itsdanny' one (i'm an admin)
    The last query is
    exec master..sqbdir

... it seems the DB is brocken in some way, if I do a use syslive, it get the transition error in ssms...will fix that first...........!
    Would it be possible to drop the database, and then run the restore? If the database is restored successfully, then run the restore again and see if the same error occurs?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Hi, just to update this, the DB was in a bad way(it was visible in the objects but i couldn't expand e.g. the tables!) so droppping it sorted it out. Restore now works. Thanks for your help.
    Dan