Options

Stuck trying to restore HyperBac

DeadManDanDeadManDan Posts: 4
edited February 16, 2015 3:24AM in SQL HyperBac 5
Sad Times...... In a unfortunately timed ironic twist of fate, I have recently come into possession of a HyperBac backup file of client data which I need to process. I have attempted to self-serve and try to recover this myself but no amount of google-ing has presented any viable solutions. Are there any free/evaluation tools currently available that could be used to convert this file into a native SQL backup file or any helpful individuals willing to assist?

To show my appreciation I would be willing to send you a hand-drawn picture of my empty coffee-mug.

Thanks

Danny

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Officially I cannot provide support any longer for the HyperBac products.

As you have a need to extract / convert a HyperBac backup file to a format that native SQL Server restore process will understand. You can download the HyperUtils using this LINK.

In the zip file you will find 3 files:
    HyperUtil.exe - Is a command line tool for converting HyperBac .HBC / HBE files to the SQL Server format.
    WinExtractor.exe - Windows UI Tool or converting HyperBac .HBC / HBE files to the SQL Server format.
    RemoveDriver.vbs - Not required in your case, it is used to remove the HyperBac filter from the Windows Kernel.

Use either the command line tool - HyperUtil.exe or the Windows UI tool - WinExtractor to uncompress the HyperBac formatted backup file back into un-compressed backup in the Microsoft Tape Format (MTF) or bak file, that the native SQL Server restore process will be able to read.

The help information is available via the links below:
    Overview.
    Windows UI Tool.
    Command Line Tool

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com