Options

Internet Explorer Crashes with Silverlight 4+ profiling

Bryan.MussoBryan.Musso Posts: 2
edited September 23, 2016 6:21AM in ANTS Memory Profiler 8
Hi there,

When I try to run the memory profile on a Silverlight Application, the profile starts, consumes about a 1 gig of memory and runs for sometime but always results in Internet Explorer crashing which cause the profiling session to stop.

We have tried on another colleagues machine and he has the same issue. He got an older version of memory profiler 7.4 running on his machine and it works then.

Please could you assist me in solving this.

The windows event generate is as follows:
Log Name: System
Source: Application Popup
Date: 2014-08-18 09:37:14 AM
Event ID: 26
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Computer Name
Description:
Application popup: On Key 5 - Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe - Application Error : The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x74dd1d4d.

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Popup" Guid="{47BFA2B7-BD54-4FAC-B70B-29021084CA8F}" />
<EventID>26</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-08-18T07:37:14.912689900Z" />
<EventRecordID>44968</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="776" ThreadID="900" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Computer Name</Computer>
<Security UserID="User Id" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="Caption">On Key 5 - Internet Explorer: iexplore.exe - Application Error</Data>
<Data Name="Message">The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x74dd1d4d.
</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Comments

• Options
    Any news about this? I have exactly the same behavior when profiling a Silverlight 4+ application. I am running ANTS on a Windows 8 machine (Admin permissions) with IE 11. Looks like there is a NULL reference exception in the RedGate.Memory.Core.dll

Note: I am able to take 2-3 Snapshots until the crash occurs.

Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: IEXPLORE.EXE
    Anwendungsversion: 11.0.9600.17344
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 541b6f63
    Fehlermodulname: RedGate.Memory.Core.dll
    Fehlermodulversion: 8.2.0.73
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 52aaf58e
    Ausnahmecode: c0000005
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00023fc1
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.256.48
    Gebietsschema-ID: 2055
    Zusatzinformation 1: 5861
    Zusatzinformation 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
    Zusatzinformation 3: 84a0
    Zusatzinformation 4: 84a09ea102a12ee665c500221db8c9d6
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi sbeck,

I'm afraid the problem is likely that the internet explorer process is running out of memory. The memory limits for a 32-bit process is 2GB regardless of physical RAM available and the process will usually start acting up once its memory usage nears about 1.5gb (and Silverlight applications will unfortunately only run with 32-bit IE).

To try and reduce any added overhead from the profiler, can you please try:

- disabling 'profile child processes'
    - disabling 'track IDisposable' and 'profile unmanaged memory'
    - enabling the 'make snapshots faster' option which might help prevent issues with low memory, if any.
    - disabling any added extra performance counters that are turned on, if any

Please let me know if that helps or not!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    I'm having this exact same problem. I don't believe it's IE that's (directly) at fault here, or the Silverlight application. Specifically the Silverlight app starts usually taking about 200meg. It is only running under ANTS 8 that it goes mental and consumes a gig before crashing both IE and ANTS.

This problem only started for me yesterday and I can't do anything to make it stop happening now. Even using a previous branch results in the same behaviour.
  • Options
    ukian wrote:
    I'm having this exact same problem. I don't believe it's IE that's (directly) at fault here, or the Silverlight application. Specifically the Silverlight app starts usually taking about 200meg. It is only running under ANTS 8 that it goes mental and consumes a gig before crashing both IE and ANTS.

This problem only started for me yesterday and I can't do anything to make it stop happening now. Even using a previous branch results in the same behaviour.

Just for extra information, using ants performance, or DotMemory, or nothing, the run away memory situation is not repeated. It's only with MemProfiler.
  • Options
    Howdy, further information, going back to Version 7.1 has resolved the crash problem.

It's doubly complicated for me at the moment because I'm trying to track down an intermittent problem where the silverlight client will suddenly bloat to a gig and die. So exactly the situation I'm seeing here, except this has been consistent on start up. My guess is it's related to network related. The problem hits during the part of the application start up where it is receiving a lot of data over WCF.

It happens even with all the options disabled such as "unmanaged objects" and "track idisposable" (paraphrasing).

I appreciate you're unlike to find a cure, and to be honest, it's Silverlight and we'll be killing it as soon as humanly possible (but not yet *sigh*). Just adding to the information to help others.
  • Options
    My Internet explorer has stoped working
    someone help me please