Options

Bug - error reports with old dates not visible in UI

dybalabjdybalabj Posts: 26 Silver 1
edited January 22, 2015 3:10PM in SmartAssembly
Hello,

We have a customer whose PC clock is wrong, and some of the error reports that have been emailed to us have a "Received on" date of 2007, even though our application was build in 2014. We have also received some error reports dated 1970. However, these reports do not show up in the SmartAssembly UI. We can only view them by opening the *.saencryptedreport files that were emailed to us.

It would be nice if the "Received on" date did not prevent the error reports from being displayed.

Thanks,

Brandon

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Brandon,

Thanks for your post!

At the moment, SmartAssembly only shows the top 500 reports based on the "Received date", the date the user sent in the report. That makes the most sense, but this is definitely an interesting situation where that doesn't work.

Since the database does also keep track of the dates the reports were downloaded into the database, I've made a feature request for an option to view the most recently inserted reports as well (SA-1880).

Thanks for the feedback and sorry there isn't another option aside from opening the error files at the moment!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Jessica,

If possible, I would also like a way to configure the number of reports that are shown (including the option to view all error reports), not just the most recently sent or recently inserted. In our case, after we fix a reported issue, we sometimes additional error reports with the same exception, message and stack trace, but from a different underlying cause. Viewing the error reports by category allows us to find earlier reports and see if they are the same issue, or a different one. But if SmartAssembly only shows up to 500 reports, this view won't always show us those older reports.

Thanks,

Brandon
  • Options
    Another thought might be to provide a way to select a range of dates to view error reports (based on received/generated date).
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Brandon,

Thanks very much for your feedback! I've added it to the request.

I've just recalled that the SDK (available only with the Professional edition of SmartAssembly) inlcudes a database tool that will let you view your reports outside of the SmartAssembly GUI(the project is located in c:program files
    ed gatesmartassembly 6sdkdatabase). It's pretty basic and doesn't really have extra sorting/categorizing capabilities as it is now, but you can change the code as needed and it could be a good starting point to get the filtered information you need.

Hope that might help for now!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    Jessica,

Thanks for the tip about the SDK, I have used it for scanning through our error reports to find specific ones, and it's been very helpful.

Brandon