Options

Profiling causes application to crash

cameron314cameron314 Posts: 4
edited January 14, 2015 6:32PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 9
This happens since version 9 only. Version 8.6 continues to work fine.
The application runs fine for a few seconds, then crashes.

I suspect it may be due to the fact that we have a custom database (accessed via a custom ADO.NET wrapper that implements the normal interfaces).

Though it crashes every time I try it, I can't see where it's crashing -- only the first time was there a notification about an access violation exception, but I forgot to check the call stack. All the other times I tried (10+) it simply aborts silently.

Also, expanding the call tree seems to be about 10x slower in version 9, not sure why.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Cameron,

I'm sorry you're having problems with the new version of the profiler, and also apologies for the delay replying to you. Unfortunately, we didn't have the settings right on this forum, and so we missed your post until now.

If your application is aborting silently, it sounds like this could be difficult to investigate. I've asked our Support team to open a ticket for you, and they should be in touch shortly (but with the holiday season now close, I'm afraid there may be a further slight delay on this).

Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • Options
    Thanks for opening a ticket!
    Don't worry about the delay, version 8 continues to work fine in the interim.
  • Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Cameron,

You should have received an email regarding the ticket opened for you (#34368). If in any case you haven't received this, please let us know!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Options
    For anybody else who's wondering, it seems that the combination of the "Profile with async awareness" option (in Tools->Advanced Options) and "Enable Inlining" option (in the session configuration details) can sometimes cause extremely high (application) memory usage, leading to the application crashing when it runs out of memory.

It turns out this was happening with 8.6 too, we just didn't notice because it was configured differently than 9 (async awareness was off in our 8.6 install). So I thought it was a new bug in 9, but it's not.

A simple workaround is to disable one of those two options.