Options

Restoring and Backing between two server

zajzaj Posts: 8
edited January 13, 2015 11:25AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello there,

I have 2 servers(production and reporting) with Server 2008 R2 and I have installed MSSQL 2008 database on each of the servers. One of the server is production server where my ERP application is being used by my users and I have this second server which I want to use for reporting purpose. Now I want to be able to backup the production db and restore the second server with this backup from the production server. I want this to be done automatically every 2 hours daily. At present I have to do this manually. So I want to know will SQL Backup do this job for me. If yes then I need to install SQL Backup on the production or reporting server.

cheers
Zolf

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, sorry for the delay in replying to you.

Yes, you can create a scheduled backup job on your production server and a scheduled restore job on your reporting server. Both machines will require an installation of the SQL Backup Server Components.

You may wish to reconsider your requirements for this to occur every two hours. The restore process requires exclusive access the the restoring database. Whilst the restore job can be configured to disconnect existing users, I suspect that a user running a report query on the reporting database will not be best pleased if suddenly his or her connection is removed so that the restore process can run. In my experience of this scenario, the backup and restore takes place in the quieter hours (normally overnight) to prevent unhappy users of the reporting server.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com