Unable to show database objects

alicorn68alicorn68 Posts: 9 Bronze 1
edited November 25, 2014 5:42AM in SQL Prompt
When attempting to load the database objects for a specific database [Customer] SQL Prompt throws an error: "SQL Prompt - Unable to show database objects"

Details are: "SQL Prompt could not retrieve all schema information for Customer" [NOTE: DB name is Customer]

Pasting the text of the error: "Unable to cast object of type '.' to type 'RedGate.SqlPrompt.Metadata.CandidateInterfaces.ITableCandidate'." [NOTE: without the enclosing double quotes]

Note that this cannot paste quite correctly. The actual value in '.' is a bullet with white text on black background, a period, then a normal or en-dash (cannot tell which). Pasting that string into a hex editor shows that unicode string is 0008 002E 0006 (surrounded by the 0027 of the normal single quote character. Sounds like something is encoded or retrieved badly. Any idea what? And how to fix it?

I am able to get other databases to load fine. It's just this one that is having an issue. I tried running SQL Profiler, but no query seemed to have a problem. Also, no SQL errors were thrown.

Thanks!
Brad

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Brad,

Thanks for reporting this. Could I check which version of SQL Prompt you're currently running? (this can be found through SQL Prompt->Help->About)

I'm looking in our bug tracking system and it looks like we might have had a similar bug reported in 6.4.0.574:
    "Unable to cast object of type '.u0006' to type 'RedGate.SqlPrompt.Metadata.CandidateInterfaces.ITableCandidate'."

It has been marked as fixed in the latest version. So the first thing to try if you're on build 6.4.0.574 or lower is to upgrade to the latest (either through Help->Check for updates or from our website)

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • I'm on 6.4.0.506. So, I'm way back. I'll install the latest version and update the thread.

Thanks!
  • Latest version fixed the issue.

Thanks for the help, and the great product. Really looking forward to see the SQL formatting improvements that are coming down the pike.
  • Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Thanks Brad! I'm happy to hear it's working for you :)

We should have a beta out for v7 with the new formatting improvements mid-2015, if you have any suggestions please do let us know!