SQBCoreservice consuming 80 - 90% cpu

stevenhobanstevenhoban Posts: 21
edited November 26, 2014 9:38PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I need help troublshooting as to why whenever we get a 100% processor utilization using sql monitor the culprit is always SQBCoreservice consuming 80% - 90% processor usage.
There are no conflicting jobs running at the time ( it appears to be random, happening a few times a week on various servers on our estate)
The transaction log is backed up every 10 mins using a sql backup 7. There are no other backups occuring ( these happen at 1am in the morning when nobdoy is accessing the servers)
Do I need to actually monitor things as the problem occurs ? I have only noticed the matter after the event - it mostly only happens for around 5 - 10 mins but the other day it lasted for 25 mins.
I understand the compression is the only cpu intensive process from the reply i recieved last time. This doesnt explain though why it would suddenly max out the cpu as we are backing up every 10 mins ( the trans log) and generally no issues througout the day.

Comments

• rayherringrayherring Posts: 30 Bronze 4
    edited December 5, 2014 11:48AM
    I have a very similar problem.
    I am running a full backup of a 4TB database. For months the backup succeeds with little impact on the rest of the system. Of course it takes multiple hours.
    Now, suddenly the backup core service is using 100% of 8 cores for the entire period of the backup.
    The backup is set to create 8 files so the file sizes are manageable (each is ~50GB). Compression is set to Level 3. CheckSum and Verify are OFF.

According to Perfmon, SQBCoreService is using an average of 400% processor with a maximum of 500+. Perfmon also shows all 8 Cores at continuous 95% plus User Time.

Update: This was not a Red Gate Backup issue.
    I spent some additional time analyzing this issue and I have determined that there is not really a specific problem. The database is 4TB and I am backing it to 8 files (all on the same disk). The server has 8 cores (2 x 4). The final files are around 40GB each (+/-15GB). The backup takes about 4 hours when several major application activities are shut down. When those same activities are running the backup can take up to 7 or 8 hours.

Right now, with just normal application processing in progress, I see that all 8 cores are consistently well-over 60% utilization and the Average %Idle Time for each core is in the 20% - 30% range.

So the issue here is clearly that the processors are just at overload under normal circumstances and adding the full backup just drives them to saturation :)
    Ray Herring
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please post the contents of the SQL Backup log file for a backup that previously had little impact on the system, and a recent one that is taking up 80% - 90% of the CPU?

SQL Backup generates a log file for each process that it runs. The default folder where the logs are stored is C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataRed GateSQL BackupLog<instance name> on Windows 2003 and older, and C:ProgramDataRed GateSQL BackupLog<instance name> on Windows Vista and newer.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I don't mind sharing the files with Red Gate but I am not willing to post them on an open forum :)
    If you provide an email address I'll forward them to you as attachments or if you email a link I can upload them.
    Ray Herring
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You can send me the files at peter.yeoh@red-gate.com
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8