Introduction to ANTS Performance Profiler

NikhilNikhil Posts: 2
edited November 5, 2014 12:45PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
Hello Team,

I would like to get some support from you folks regarding the tool. I was in search of the performance tool for our windows desktop application. I made an in-depth research and found this tool would be helpful to do performance testing for windows based desktop application. I would be more happy to learn more about the tool, depending on the support of the tool for our application, I would like to implement the tool for performance testing.

Specifications and Technologies-
1. Application : Windows based desktop application
2. Technologies used to develop an application - C#, VB6 and WPF components

Below is a rundown of my queries regarding the tool -
1. What types of performance testing can be done with this tool?
2. Does the tool supports the technologies mentioned above?
3. Do you have any thoughts that should be considered to begin the performance testing for a desktop application?
4. Maximum number of virtual users?

Looking forward for the response. :)

Thanks,
Nikhil.

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your post! Regarding your questions..

1. What types of performance testing can be done with this tool?

It can help you track down performance bottlenecks in by showing you how much time is spent in each method and line of your code (Just a note: line-level timings are only available for methods you have source for)

If you're interested in seeing worked examples of the profiler, kindly take a look here: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... d+examples

2. Does the tool supports the technologies mentioned above?

The profiler will work with any managed application (it can only connect to an application once the .NET Framework has loaded), so it will work with your application but will only show results for the managed C# and WPF parts.

3. Do you have any thoughts that should be considered to begin the performance testing for a desktop application?

Unless profiling a website or service in production, there aren't too many concerns to consider before profiling. For any application, you'll just want to make sure that you have the pdb files for your assemblies so that they will be recognized as methods with source and you can get line-level timings for them (if you do use one of the line-level profiling modes).

If in any case there are any issues with the pdb files or anything else comes up, you can find a list of our troubleshooting documents here: http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... leshooting

4. Maximum number of virtual users?

All our developer tools are actually licensed on a per user basis.

I hope this information helps--please let me know if you have any further questions or do run into any issues!

(And please feel free to download a free two-week trial from here - http://www.red-gate.com/dynamic/product ... r/download)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?