Problem with install?

I just installed .NET Reflector 8.3, and immediately upon opening the program I get the following SmartAssembly error:

.NET Reflector has just thrown an exception: Could not load file or assembly '{95e1aa70-2270-4e02-b3ee-bb7ca8cb5efe}, PublicKeyToken=3e56350693f7355e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

In any other similar errors I've searched out the problem was that .NET 3.5 wasn't installed. It's installed on my system as well as .NET 4.5.1, so that's not the problem. I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Hi Chris,

I see that you've got a support ticket open with Jessica about this.
    If anyone else experiences this problem, please ensure you have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed, and if that doesn't work, please let us know.

Thanks,
    Dom.
    Dominic Smith,
    Project Manager,
    Redgate.
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Just an update on this:

The error normally happens when .NET 3.5.1 is missing or corrupt, which prevents Reflector from being able to successfully extract and load an embedded module. In this case though, Reflector would not load the DLL because it did not pass strong name verification. This has been rare and seems to not be an issue on most machines, but can happen if AllowStrongNameBypass has been disabled on the machine.

Should you run into this and reinstalling .NET 3.5.1 has not helped, please try disabling strong name verification for that particular DLL from a VS command prompt. For example:
    sn -Vr "C:Usersjessica.ramosAppDataLocalTemp{c846d70c-3b8d-4fd6-9bea-6ee2fc8bb19c}{a755eaf2-c07e-4b95-b1ee-a3437dfa4635}.dll"

(On failing to load the DLL, Reflector will extract it and save it to disk in the temp directory- you can verify the correct path to the dll by using procmon)

Thanks again to Chris for his patience in figuring this out! :)

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?