Problem loading the profiler

edited November 7, 2014 6:53PM in ANTS Performance Profiler 8
When starting the profiler I receive a dialog box with message
Error details:
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path1
and option to "send error report" or "close". When I close this dialog, the application exists. I can no longer run the profiles. Please help.

BTW, I er-installed and deleted the folder "C:Users[user-name]AppDataLocalRed GateANTS Memory Profiler 8" but this didn't make any difference.

I'm using version release 8.6

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi there,

Apologies, just to confirm--is the issue with the Memory or Performance profiler?

It does sound like there could be a corrupt settings file. If the Performance profiler, can you also please try deleting the contents of C:Users[user-name]AppDataLocalRed GateANTS Performance Profiler 8?

Should that still not help though, could you kindly send in an error report with your email address katrash@hotmail.com? Please let me know once you send it in and I'll take a look at the full error report.

Thank you!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Hi Jessica,

First, thanks for taking the time to look at my issue.

The issue is related to Performance Profiler ( which is why I posted under this forum :) ) but I mentioned in my original post the wrong folder - apologies.

I deleted both folders but the Performance Profiler still has the same problem (where I have no problem at all with the Memory Profiler - at least until now).

I did send the report error under my email a few minutes ago.
    Hi,

No worries and thanks for clarifying about which profiler you're using!

From the error report, it looks like the problem happens while ANTS is trying to get information about IIS and list your app pools.

In case this is permissions related, could you please first try running the profiler explicitly as administrator? (You need to press shift as you right-click to get the run as admin option.)

Should that not help though, can you please check--are there any problems if you open a command prompt and run the following command?

C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list apppools

• Jessica, running explicitly as administratr didn't change anything. And the apppools command gives me this:
    APPPOOL "DefaultAppPool" (MgdVersion:v4.0,MgdMode:Integrated,state:Started)
    APPPOOL "ASP.NET v4.0" (MgdVersion:v4.0,MgdMode:Integrated,state:Started)
    APPPOOL "ASP.NET v4.0 Classic" (MgdVersion:v4.0,MgdMode:Classic,state:Stopped)
    APPPOOL "Classic .NET AppPool" (MgdVersion:v2.0,MgdMode:Classic,state:Stopped)
    APPPOOL "ASP.NET V2.0 Integrated" (MgdVersion:v2.0,MgdMode:Integrated,state:Stopped)
    APPPOOL "my_store" (MgdVersion:v4.0,MgdMode:Integrated,state:Stopped)

Sorry to hear that didn't help! And many thanks for checking the command.

Just to confirm--did the exact command I gave work or by any chance was appcmd located elsewhere?

In case it's something with your configuration file, could you please send your applicationHost.config file in C:WindowsSystem32inetsrvconfigapplicationHost.config to support@red-gate.com so that we can take a look?

• I am having exactly the same problem. I found this in my logs:

24 Oct 2014 11:27:08.271 [13] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities - The profiler tried to run "C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list apppools " but got the error: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<appcmd>

<ERROR message="Konfigurationsfehler Dateiname: redirection.config Zeilennummer: 0 Beschreibung: Die Konfigurationsdatei kann aufgrund unzureichender Berechtigungen nicht gelesen werden. ." />

</appcmd>
    " and exit code: 5
    24 Oct 2014 11:27:08.323 [13] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities - The profiler tried to run "C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list sites" but got the error: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<appcmd>

<ERROR message="Konfigurationsfehler Dateiname: redirection.config Zeilennummer: 0 Beschreibung: Die Konfigurationsdatei kann aufgrund unzureichender Berechtigungen nicht gelesen werden. ." />

</appcmd>
    24 Oct 2014 11:27:08.373 [13] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.IIS.IIS7Utilities - The profiler tried to run "C:Windowssystem32inetsrvappcmd.exe list apps" but got the error: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<appcmd>

</appcmd>
  • Yes, I used the exact command. I just sent the requested files to support. Please check.
    Just a quick update on this: the profiler finds the path to appcmd from the following registry key:

HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetservicesIISADMINImagePath

We found that the key was missing in this case so it had to be added back in order to get the profiler working again. It's an expandable string and should have value:

%windir%system32inetsrvinetinfo.exe

Thanks to katrash for helping with this. :)