Starting SSMS 2008R2 - SIP Framework Fatal Error

ThoschThosch Posts: 10
edited September 18, 2014 5:36AM in SQL Prompt
Hi,
after the update to SQL Prompt 6.4 beta (6.4.0.537 - 26th August)
I get the following error message every time I start the SSMS 2008R2 (after clicking ok the SSMS 2008R2 and SQL-Prompt work perfectly):

SIP Framework Fatal Error
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'RedGate.Shared.Utils, Version=9.5.0.875, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'RedGate.Shared.Utils, Version=9.5.0.875, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57'

at RedGate.SIPFramework.SmartExceptionsWithAdvancedUI.UnhandledExceptionHandlerWithAdvancedUI.OnReportException(ReportExceptionEventArgs e)

at SmartAssembly.SmartExceptionsCore.UnhandledExceptionHandler.#pk(Exception #gJj, Boolean #YGq, Boolean #yJrc)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.

To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.

Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.

To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

OK

I don't get this error when I start SSMS 2012.

Any idea?

Cheers,
Thorsten

Comments

• Aaron LAaron L Posts: 596 New member
    Hi Thorsten,

Do you have any other Red Gate tools installed? Prompt doesn't use the SIPFramework but it looks like some users have experienced similar problems after updating SQL Doc (Forum post) so i'm wondering if that's what you're seeing?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • Hi Araon,

yes, I have most of the redgate tools installed, and I updated SQL-DOC at the same time as I updated SQL-Prompt.

So, the error could be caused by SQL-DOC.

Thanks,
    Thorsten
  • Hi Aron,

I uninstalled the version 2.1 and 3.0 of SQL-Doc and the error was gone.
    Now I did a clean install (not an update) of the most current version of SQL-Doc and it works.
    No more errors.

Thanks for the hint with the SQL-Doc. :D

Cheers,

Thorsten
    Hi Thorsten,

I'm really glad to hear you've fixed it, and thanks for sharing how you did it!

I just spoke to the team responsible for SQL Doc and it sounds like it might be a problem caused by the uninstalling of the previous version of Doc during the update rather than installing the new one. So hopefully now you've got the latest version installed you won't encounter it again after subsequent updates.

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • meklemblmeklembl Posts: 107 Bronze 2
    I hope this fixes my problem as well. I "upgrade" to the new SQL Toolkit set of products yesterday and now none of my add-in in SSMS work. Even SQL Prompt is hokey. I will attempt to uninstall SQL Doc from my machine and reboot and see if this fixes my issues. Email on results to come momentarily.
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Uninstalling SQL Doc 3 did not fix the issue. I also rebooted just to be sure, but the same result. Reinstalling SQL Doc 3 from the SQL Toolbelt executable did not fix the issue.

I am on SQL Prompt 6.3.0.354. The buttons for Add-ins, SQL Search and SQL Test are greyed out (unavailable). The buttons for SQL Source Control and Tab History are available for use.

Is there a workaround since the above process did not fix the issue for me.

Regards,
    Larry
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Hi Larry,

Just to make sure I understand correctly, Prompt working fine, but SQL Search and SQL Test aren't working for you? Is the SQL Doc you installed available from SSMS?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
    You are correct. SQL Prompt appears to be fine and SQL DOC is installed, but is not available from SSMS. I am using SSMS 2008.

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.5520.0
    Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools 10.0.5500.0
    Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 6.1.7601.17514
    Microsoft MSXML 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.50727.5483
    Operating System 6.1.7601
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
    From what I understand SQL Doc, Search and Test all use the same framework to load into SSMS, so if all 3 are broken it definitely sounds like something has gone wrong with it.

Unfortunately since Prompt doesn't share the same framework, I don't have much experience with troubleshooting it but it sounds like another user with the same problem fixed it by doing an uninstall and reinstall.
    As the other user did, I uninstalled SQL Test and SQL Search, then installed them. All is well with the world. Lost some time, but I am glad that things are working again.

Larry
    Larry M
    Cleveland, OH USA
  • Hi All,

Yesterday I installed sql prompt ver 6.4.0.618 and met this issue, just now I uninstalled SSMS Integration Pack and I can open SQL Server Managent Studio. Maybe you can refer it.

Regards,
    Robin
    I'll forward these to the team responsible for Doc and see if there's anything more they can do. Uninstalling and reinstalling sounds like a really time consuming fix.

Robin, as far as I know this is only caused by updating from a specific version of Doc (which had a faulty uninstall procedure, leaving the SIP framework in a corrupt state). If you're seeing it after just installing Prompt it's possible you're encountering something different?

Thanks,
    Aaron.
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Uninstalled SQL Doc 2, SQL Doc 3, SQL Search, and it STILL Fatal Errors!

Guess I'll uninstall Doc, Search AND the two Integration Pack programs...

This is probably the worst experience with Red Gate's Install since I joined up with RG nine years ago!

Maybe Windows 8.1 is also contributing - it is a sucky OS that still isn't reliable after 20 months since 8 was released to the unsuspecting public (comparisons with Vista are entirely warranted IME).
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Uninstalled everything to do with "the Framework". Killed the 2 Framework items. Shutdown.

Install. Finally everything appears OK. Haven't tried anything but SSMS so far.
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Hi all,

Apologies for the problems faced here. The simplest solution to this for anybody else hitting it is:

1. Goto "Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features"
    2. Locate and click on "SSMS Integration Pack Framework 1"
    3. Right click and choose "Repair"

Thanks to Patrick for sharing this here:
    http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... hp?t=23346

We're working on fixing this properly, in the meantime please do let us know if the steps don't work for you.

Michael