edited January 12, 2007 7:55AM in ANTS Load
Hi there,

ANTSLoad 1.75
Windows XP SP2
SQL Server 2000
ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0
Firewall disabled
No proxies running

When I run ANTSLoad and try to record, I cannot connect to any site in localhost. I can go to external sites, but no local ones.

Any ideas what could be blocking localhost? I just get 404 when I try to open any localhost site - only while ANTSLoad is in recording mode. If not recording, sites work fine?

Regards,

Tony

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Tony,

The only thing that comes to mind is if your local website happens to be using port 8000. The ANTS Load script recorder's proxy could be interfering with the website because they're both trying to use the same port. Hopefully that's all the problem is.
  • Hi Brian,

I've had a look and nothing appears to be using port 8000. I have downloaded a port explorer tool and the only thing that shows as Port 8000 is ANTSLoad.

Localhost works just fine when ANTSLoad isn't running. I can ping both localhost and 127.0.0.1 when ANTSLoad is running, but I can't open any local sites while it's running.

The issue is around the port proxy, but I can't for the life of me see where the problem would be. I have enabled the product through Windows Firewall (although even if I turn off firewall it doesn't make any difference) and nothing else is running on the box.

Any help on where I can look to see what may be causing the problem is greatly appreciated.

Tony
    What do you get when you run
    netstat -a -b | find "8000"

?
  • I've run the command you posted and I get this:
    TCP acer-63caaa962a:8000 acer-63caaa962a:0 LISTENING 2084

I don't have IIS installed on this box but use the built-in server that ships with Visual Studio 2005

Thanks in advance!
  • Hello,

If this is the result you get when ANTS Load isn't running, then you need to check the PID column of this output and then open Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and check the processes for a PID that matches this number. That should hopefully help you find the process that is using port 8000 so you can stop it or change the port that it answers on.
  • No, when Load isn't running I don't get anything. But it seems that it screw up IE7. Now I can't connect at all with that browser but FF2 works fine. Can I change the browser in Load?

My webserver is running on port 1743 - does that have any impact on how Load is measuring?

Regards, Jon.
    Hello Jon,

Is this computer using a dialup connection or ADSL?
  • ADSL.

I switch back and forth from wireless to LAN depending where I am in the building.
  • I've found out why IE7 wasn't working. Apparently Ants Load set the LAN proxy server to localhost port 8000. This will of course not work. I've set up VS 2005 to use FF2 as the browser for debugging and Load is using IE... So maybe if I change the debugging browser to IE it will work?

Gonna try... I'll get back with the result
    Hi,

ANTS Load is funny about temporary connections anyway. In order for the script recorder to work, you have to manually apply the proxy 127.0.0.1 on port 8000 to the particular connection that you are using. The setup that ANTS Load script recorder initiates only seems to apply the proxy settings to the permanent LAN connection.
  • I just installed Ants Load and am unable to record a script for a localhost site using the Record Script feature with the IE7 browser. I've read this thread and I have noticed if I change the proxy setting Record Script seems to set that I can then browse localhost however the best I've managed to get recordscript to recognize in this mode is the URLs I've gone to it always says there are no request objects and doesn't track the text I type. Perhaps this is something to do with the activex message IE7 gives me - even though I say go ahead and allow blocked content?
    If I goto non localhost sites not editing the proxy it seems to record and get much more information.
    I'd appreciate any help as without the automated script generation my testing will take many hours longer..
    Hello,

I don't know if you're the same person I spoke to on the phone with two days ago, but a user had a similar problem and it was something to do with Internet Explorer. It worked to use the FQDN of the computer rather than 'localhost'. This might be some silly new IE security setting, but I'm unable to reproduce this. Anyway, if it's working on non-local sites and not local, the problem MUST be IE or IIS!