Options

Q:Deploying updates

ajhajh Posts: 3
edited November 24, 2006 6:08AM in SQL Packager Previous Versions
Hello,

I am evaluating SQL Packager 5.2 to see if it will meet our companies needs. I'm hoping someone can read my comments and give me direction if SQL Packager can meet our needs.

It seems to me that this product requires you to have access to the database that will need to be updated (e.g. the client database) so that it can generate the differences between the production and client.

While I understand technically why this is required, it is not a feasible option. For example:
Our product (database) has gone through three releases (3 database changes).
1) Release 1 : initial
2) Release 2 : Add a field to Table "A"
3) Release 3: Add a new table "B"

Lets say we have 10 clients. Some are running release 1 and some are running release 2. We need to get them updated to release 3.

How can SQL Packager create a single 'run once' updating utility that can take our clients from Release 1->3 and some clients from release 2->3?

Comments

• Options
    Unfortunately the current release of SQL Packager does not offer that functionality.

The idea with packager is that your clients will have an identical schema to that of the target database used to create the package.

As you have already pointed out, you could create a package for each version upgrade, but it cannot be done in a single package.

However, you could create a C# application using SQL Toolkit which would enable you to synchronise the schemas of your current database version with that of the client.
    Chris
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply.

It would be great if SQL Packager could have the functionality of version stamping a database, so that consecutive updates could be applied.

Is there any chance this will be considered?
  • Options
    It sounds like a great idea. I will suggest this feature to the development team. If the idea is approved it will be included in a future version.
    Chris
  • Options
    Hi,

I thought you might be interested in this new thread.

http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... php?t=3721

The development team are now gathering any new ideas or features that users would like to include in a new version of SQL Packager.

p.s. your suggestion of version stamping will be included in a future version.
    Chris