Options

Testing on Multiple Machines

AdamLAdamL Posts: 13
edited November 23, 2006 1:38PM in ANTS Load
Hello,

I am trying to setup a test on 3 machines each running the same website. I have entered each machine into the network topology and have correctly setup the load I have also removed the web resource tags. But after the test has completed I have 7 InternalServerErrors in the errors report how can I fix this.

This is what I get:

Validation of viewstate MAC failed. If this application is hosted by a Web Farm or cluster, ensure that <machineKey> configuration specifies the same validationKey and validation algorithm

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Adam,

Please try running the test without the multiple-host topology to rule out the possibility that this error is happening as a result of sending requests to a web server farm. Some load balancing protocols use cookies and some go by IP address; if the ANTS hosts are not consistently sending requests to the same node of a load-balanced web server, viewstate errors can occur.

Because there is no standard way of implementing load balancing, you may need to check with the vendor of the load balancing solution to see what their recommendations are for load balancing.

If you find that the test is still throwing viewstate errors when you run it on a single host, then please have a look at the ANTS Load script tester on http://labs.red-gate.com to see if you can debug the script to see which requests are failing. It may well be as simple as the famous aspx requests being sent in the wrong order problem.
  • Options
    :?: I am still having this issue I have attempted testing on the local host and I am still running into this VIEW STATE error. If I create a simple login script I do not have this issue so I can assume that something that is taking place in my more complex scripts is causing this issue.

I have downloaded the script tester but not having much luck.

Could you go into more detail on how I can check if this is infact the "famous aspx requests being sent in the wrong order problem"

-Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Adam,

Tell you what, I will look into whether or not there is a way to find out what page the viewstate data corresponds to. I don't know if this will be possible as I'm under the impression that viewstate is encrypted.

Basically if you run the script tester and get an error page displayed in the IE window complaining about invalid viewstate, then this could be the problem.
  • Options
    Hi Adam,

If you download the latest version of Script Tester from labs.red-gate.com again, when you look at request info, there is a warning at the bottom of the page if the viewstate being posted is for a Url that's different from the one being posted to. Maybe this will help. You'll need to make sure you click 'request info' whenever you suspect a POST method has been sent to the server.