Error: Failed to retrieve application version.

DineshDinesh Posts: 14
edited November 16, 2006 7:46AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I downloaded the trial version and installed on my machine. When I try to get a backup of a database in different server, it gives this error after installing server components. What will be the reason?

Here is the list of Tasks complated

Run setup on server - completed
sqlbackup - Yes
sqbstatus - Yes
sqbutility - Yes
sqbmemory - Yes
Checking Application version 4.6.0.815
Checking service application version - Error
checking extended stored procedure DLL version - Error
Deleting setup Files - Failed

Appreciate your early reply.

Thanks

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Most likely reason is that your remote server prevented the installation to run to completion, which is normal if you have taken measures to tighten security on that server.

If you want to install just the server components, take the SQBServerSetup.exe file (found on the machine where you installed the complete setup), and run this executable on the server where you want to install the server components.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Hi Petey,

Thanks for reply. I corrected the problem. Now my requirment is this. I want to install the SQLBackup on my machine and backup all databases in all my SQL Server instances. And I should be able to backup the databases in other machines too. Is this possible with SQLBackup Standard edition? Or Do I need to purchase Pro edition? Do I need to purchase licenses for all servers?

I downloaded the sqb2mtf.exe file for coverting sqb file to native SQL back. Are there any limitation for this? Can I use this tool for any size of sqb file?

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You need to install the SQL Backup server components for each instance on a server. Each server requires only one license of SQL Backup, regardless of how many SQL Server instances you have running.

SQL Backup Pro license allows you to use the SQL Backup GUI to administer remote servers. SQL Backup Standard allows only GUIs' running on the local server to connect to it.

There is no limitation on the use of the sqb2mtf utility. You can use it freely on any machine, without the need for a SQL Backup license. There is also no limitation on the size of the sqb file it can convert.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8