How to backup a log shipped DB.

slackboy13013slackboy13013 Posts: 3
edited November 18, 2006 3:26AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Is it possible to backup a "warm" mode DB that is being log shipped to?

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your post.

No it is possible to backup a database in standby or read only mode.

You must recover the database first and then backup your database.

You create a backup task like any other backup task.

You will need to return the database back to a standby or read only on completion of the backup.

The only thing to be careful off, is to ensure that a log shipping restore is not going to occur at the same moment in time or during the backup process. As the restore will fail as the process does not have exclusive access to the database.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Thank you for the reply.

Can you help me on the steps I would need to take to get this done?

Can you still restore logs to a DB once it has been swtiched from stand by to regular than back to standby?

Is there another process I should be using? I was thinking if I changes to regular mode, backed up, then restored that backup in warm mode it might work but it seems clunky.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You cannot switch Database B from standby to normal mode, then back to standby mode to restore logs created from Database A.

If you want to make a 'checkpoint' to save having to restore logs from the start when a failure occurs, you would have to make a full backup on Database A.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8