V1 fails to load when Management Studio is started

I had the beta on my personal computer and it was functioning fine. I loaded the V1 release over the top of the beta (did not uninstall). When I started Management Studio it started fine and I was able to input my SN and get it activated. Next time I started Management Studio I got the error message:

The add-in "Red Gate SQL Refactor" failed to load or caused an exception. Would you like to remove this add-in?
If you choose Yes you will need to reinstall the add-in to use it again.
Error Message = <Unknown>
Error Number = 80131534

I closed Management Studio, re-ran the V1 setup, selected repair and after that was successfully able to use Refactor.

Next time I opened Management Studio I go the same error. I have now tried repair and uninstall/reinstall. I am continuning to get the error message.

Please HELP!! I can't survive without my Refactor!!!

Tim
Denver, CO

Comments

• I had the beta on my personal computer and it was functioning fine. I loaded the V1 release over the top of the beta (did not uninstall). When I started Management Studio it started fine and I was able to input my SN and get it activated. Next time I started Management Studio I got the error message:

The add-in "Red Gate SQL Refactor" failed to load or caused an exception. Would you like to remove this add-in?
    If you choose Yes you will need to reinstall the add-in to use it again.
    Error Message = <Unknown>
    Error Number = 80131534

I closed Management Studio, re-ran the V1 setup, selected repair and after that was successfully able to use Refactor.

Next time I opened Management Studio I go the same error. I have now tried repair and uninstall/reinstall. I am continuning to get the error message.

Please HELP!! I can't survive without my Refactor!!!

Tim
    Denver, CO

Hi Tim,
    First, could you try to use: SqlWb /setup. If this does not work, then after a repair run Management Studio and exit it cleanly, i.e. File->Exit, or the "X" button. In either case it is important to exit Management Studio cleanly the first time, otherwise Management Studio corrupts its files (which is not a problem if you have no plugins).

Regards,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Andras,

Thank you for the quick response over the weekend. The sqlwb /setup command did the trick. I am back and working. Hurah!! Had some consulting work to knock out today and wanted Refactor running to ease my effort.

Thanks again,
    Tim
    Denver, CO
  • Same problem again. My system blue screened (Got to love the Cisco VPN software, been my only cause of system crashes in over 3 years) and now I am getting the same error. I have done the SqlWb /setup, then uninstalled, did SqlWb /setup and then reinstalled. No joy, just the same depressing error message.

Tim
    Denver, CO
  • Hate to reply to my own post, but hoping to get some help on getting Refactor working again. See above post.

Tim
    Denver, CO
  • Hi Tim,

Sorry about the delay in replying, it might be an idea trying to register the SQL Refactor add-in manually.
    %systemroot%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm /codebase " C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Refactor\RedGate.Refactoring.AddIn.dll"

Regards,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Tim,

Can I also just check what version of SQL Server Management Studio you are running? Have you installed the CTP of SP2?

Thanks,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Still running SP1.

Refactor was working perfectly. Then I had a blue screen cased by Cisco VPN client. Of course Management Studio was open when that happened. After the reboot the issue came up.

Will try the manual registration when I am at that system.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Denver, CO
  • I received the following error when I tried to manually reregister.

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Could not load file or assembly 'SqlWorkbench.Interfaces
    , Version=9.0.242.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of
    its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Denver, CO
  • Tim,

All the SQL Refactor developers and testers are on their Christmas break at the moment. I'll dig around and try to get an answer for you.
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Tim,

Can you see if you have the SQL 2005 Business Intelligence Studio installed? If you don't, can you try installing it? It's one of the options in the SQL 2005 install.

- Neil
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Yes Business Intelligence Studio is install. I had a need to do some SQL work over the Christmas Holiday and it appears I got an early Christmas present. SQL Refactor is again working!! Only changes on the system are that I did Windows update and loaded the current updates for XP, office and such. Then a reboot or two. Refactor is now back among the living.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

Tim
    Denver, CO
  • Tim,

Thanks for the good news. We will continue to look into this problem. So far all the shutdowns and blue screens we have created on our test systems haven't effected SQL Refactor, but there are a few more things that we can try.

Just out of interest what Windows platform are you running? What is the version number of SSMS in its About box?

Happy Christmas,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Try this:

copy "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\SqlWorkbench.Interfaces.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Red Gate\SQL Refactor"

copy "%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\PublicAssemblies\extensibility.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Red Gate\SQL Refactor"

And then try RegAsm again. Worked for me.
  • I am on XP Pro SP2. I am not at the computer that was having the problem, but will check the SSMS version when I am on that box.

As I mentioned, the crash was caused when a VPN connection on Cisco VPN client failed. I have had major trouble with this particular package when secure connections fail. It has corrupted the entire TCP/IP stack requiring as well as other drastic ills. I use a huge number of programs and have not had any that are as problematic and harmful to a system as the Cisco VPN client.

Tim
    Denver, CO
  • Try this:

copy "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\SqlWorkbench.Interfaces.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Red Gate\SQL Refactor"

copy "%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\PublicAssemblies\extensibility.dll" "%ProgramFiles%\Red Gate\SQL Refactor"

And then try RegAsm again. Worked for me.

I was having similar problems with SQL Refactor. The 'workaround' fixed the problem.