SQL Compare and Windows Vista Issues

DisconnectorDisconnector Posts: 4
edited August 8, 2007 4:37AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi all,

Like the poster below, I have tried all of the compatability settings to attempt to get SQl Compare 5.2 to run on Windows Vista. Unfortunately, it is still not functional.

The application will start, but it will not connect with any databases that I specify.

With Vista entering RTM status soon, this is obviously a fairly crucial matter.

Help!

Rich Barlow

Comments

• We are looking into this right now. We verified that all of the SQL Bundle Tools worked correctly with the beta build of Vista at the time of release. It now looks as though they have broken our tools with the RC2. I will let you know once I have more details.

Best regards,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
  • Tom Harris wrote:
    We are looking into this right now. We verified that all of the SQL Bundle Tools worked correctly with the beta build of Vista at the time of release. It now looks as though they have broken our tools with the RC2. I will let you know once I have more details.

Best regards,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software

Thanks! I absolutely LOVE your tools and honestly would have a difficult time doing my job without them.

Rich Barlow
  • OK,

It appears that the Windows Firewall was blocking my connection attempts.

Once it was disabled, everything works EXCEPT for any of the dropdowns at the top of the application (file, action, tools, help). When you attempt to drop the menu, nothing appears and the interface freezes.

Just letting you all know what's going on :^)

Thanks again!

Rich Barlow
  • Hi there,

we are hoping that this just a compatibility problem with the 3rd party toolbar components we use in SQL Bundle. Hopefully a quick update will fix the problem.

Thanks for the heads up though :)

Tom
  • Was there a resolution to this problem?

I am getting the following error connecting to a remote SQL Server database on Vista.

The list of databases for the specified SQL Server could not be retrieved:
    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake.
    When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
    (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)

It is nothing on the server end as I can fine using SQL Server Management Studio from the same computer and other users can connect to the SQL Server. Remote access is allowed. Only TCP/IP. Port 1433.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not able to use another computer to run SQL Compare from.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

You may want to try forcing the network connection to use the TCP network library by prefacing the server name with TCP:, ie

TCP:servername,1433

This looks similar to a lot of connection problems we get with the ADO .NET client and is more than likely unrelated to Vista.
  • I now get the following error if I force it to use TCP over port 1433:

The list of databases for the specified SQL Server could not be retrieved:
    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake.
    When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
    (provider: TCP Provider, error:0 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.)

I originally had exactly the same problem with SQL Server Management Studio (SP2) and I had to uninstall and reinstall using only SP1 and now I can connect from SSMS.

But still no luck with SQL Compare. :evil:
    Still not 100% convinced its a Vista issue but im getting there.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I noticed that the error message has now changed to connection refused. This would indicate there is a communication problem at a lower level. Your computer attempted to open a socket-level connection to the SQL Server, which was refused. This could be because of a firewall blocking TCP port 1433, security/anti-virus program, or because the SQL Server runs a desktop OS (XP, Vista) and the 10 inbound connection limit has been exceeded.
  • I have managed to borrow a colleagues computer (Windows XP) to try from.

I have installed and run SQL Compare 6 (logged in as myself) and it works fine.

This would signify that it is something to do with my client computer either Vista itself or some other software I have installed.
    Maybe the default security / firewall settings in Vista are causing the problems?
    Maybe the version of ado.net, is this what SQL Compare uses?
    All I have installed is SQL Server 2005 SP1 (Server and Client), Visual Studio 2005 SP1, Office 2007 and SQL Compare 6.

I will post if I find a solution, if I dont post again I have resorted to ditching Vista and installing XP from scratch...