Clustering Installation Question

MichaelJohnsMichaelJohns Posts: 4 Bronze 2
edited October 31, 2006 6:37AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I have read the Knowledge Base article concerning installation on a cluster, but I still have questions.

I have an active-active cluster with more than one instance on each node. Node_A has Node_A\inst_1 and Node_A\inst_2, while Node_B has Node_B\inst_3 and Node_B\inst_4.

I don't have a problem installing the backup software on each instance, but I want to make sure I am adding the SQL Backup Agent service to the cluster correctly.

Do I add the agent service as a resource to each Node a single time or once for each instance on a node?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The SQL Backup Agent service is specific to each SQL Server instance, thus you need to add the service as a cluster resource to each instance's cluster group.

In your case, you would need to:

- add the service for inst_1 to the cluster group containing the inst_1 instance
    - add the service for inst_2 to the cluster group containing the inst_2 instance
    - add the service for inst_3 to the cluster group containing the inst_3 instance
    - add the service for inst_4 to the cluster group containing the inst_4 instance

After that, run ProductActivation.exe on the passive node, to activate the SQL Backup license. On the active node, you can run the activation using the GUI.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Would I need to install the service only once if I have 2 instances running on the same cluster group?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Each SQL Backup Agent service only serves one SQL Server instance, regardless of how they are grouped in the cluster.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thank you for clearing that up for me.