Create Database with Snapshot

aperregatturvaperregatturv Posts: 67
edited October 19, 2006 1:52PM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
Hi,

Currently, I am using Toolkit to update existing databases, I create a snapshot of a pristine database and update database using that snapshot file which works great. I really appreciate Red Gate for making such a nice program. We had so many problems in past using SQL Scripts to update database and it was a nightmare. we had 10 to 15 scripts to update 10 different versions, now all i use is one snapshot file which brings any older version of our database to the latest.

Now, I would to use the same snapshot file to create database which i tried and it works, first I run a SQL Script file which creates the database and once its created i use snapshot file to update and it works so i was able to create new database using snapshot file instead of 2-3 script files which is good.
My question is, we have some stored procedures that are encrypted and i am not able to get those procedures in the new database even though it created it doesnt work. How do i get it work?

Next question, When we create a new database we stuff some default values in the database, but when i use snapshot file to create the database it only creates the structure but not data, any suggestion on how to automate that other than running a insert scripts? I know it can be done using SQLDataCompare... any samples?

SQL Packager Template is not compatible with Visual Studio 2005. I tried modifying the screens in 2005 but after doing so the SQL Packager didnt create a new package. Please let me know how i can modify the screens without using Visual studio 2003?

I am using the latest version of SQL Bundle 5.2

Please let me know.
Thanks
Arun

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Arun,

To tell the truth you're better off seeding your data using a SQL script. Data Compare really needs to connect to two live data sources to do any synchronization. Not good for a deployment project!

When I modified the packager code template using Visual Studio 2005, I get an 'invalid resx' error. I think that what's happening is that Packager creates a resource file which contains the SQL code, and then tries to compile it into a copy of the code template project. The .NET 2.0 compiler seems to have a problem with resources built for Framework 1.1. I don't know of a workaround for this.

One possibility would be to tell Packager to create a c# project, then load that project output into VS 2005 and convert it and compile it from there. Hopefully VS2005'c project conversion utility can convery the Packager's resources into Framework 2.0 compatible ones.
  • Hi Arun,

To tell the truth you're better off seeding your data using a SQL script. Data Compare really needs to connect to two live data sources to do any synchronization. Not good for a deployment project!

When I modified the packager code template using Visual Studio 2005, I get an 'invalid resx' error. I think that what's happening is that Packager creates a resource file which contains the SQL code, and then tries to compile it into a copy of the code template project. The .NET 2.0 compiler seems to have a problem with resources built for Framework 1.1. I don't know of a workaround for this.

One possibility would be to tell Packager to create a c# project, then load that project output into VS 2005 and convert it and compile it from there. Hopefully VS2005'c project conversion utility can convery the Packager's resources into Framework 2.0 compatible ones.

Brian,

Thanks for your reply. Then I think i will stick to what i have now.
    1 script file to create database, 1 snapshot file to create Tables, views/stored procedures and 1 defaults file to add default values to the database.

Thanks

Arun