Options

Using Network Shares (UNC) with domains

oscosc Posts: 6
edited October 19, 2006 9:49AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Background Details:
I just downloaded SQL Backup and attempted to backup a local database to a network share: \\BKPSHARE\Folder. The share is also mapped to the Z: drive.

The share currently has full access share rights to the following groups:
DEV\Administrators
PROD\Developers

My domain username is PROD\osc and I am in the group PROD\Developers and I also have explicit full access to \\BKPSHARE\Folder

Description of Problem:
When I try to backup using SQL Backup to the location "\\BKPSHARE\Folder\test.sqb", I experience an error "Failed to create backup folder : \\BKPSHARE\Folder". Using Windows Explorer through a mapped drive or via \\BKPSHARE\Folder, I am able to create/delete/read files.

Is there anything I am missing or doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Which account are you using to start up the SQL Backup Agent service? It needs to be an account with membership to at least one of the 2 groups you mentioned, with access to the network share.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    I am using the default. What is the default for the SQL Backup agent?
  • Options
    peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The default startup service account for the SQL Backup service is the same one used by the SQL Server instance. You can change this during installation.

It could be LocalSystem, which would explain why you have no access to the network share.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Options
    Thank you - I will try this on the machine tomorrow and keep this thread updated.
  • Options
    I uninstalled and re-installed SQL Backup under the account PROD\osc (SQL Backup Agent) and still seem to get the same problem.

I was prompted twice for this username (once upon initial installation and the second upon the first backup task creation).
  • Options
    I re-installed again using osc@PROD.local and it seemed to work.

Thanks again.