SQB46 fails to move/delete processed log files

ev89pimpev89pimp Posts: 10
edited October 16, 2006 10:41AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello all,
I'm having an issue with SQB Pro that only manifests itself under periods of heavy load on the target server. Here is a little background information:
We have a primary server and backup server in separate offices that are interconnected via a T1 vpn. We are using SQB Pro in a log shipping scenario and it works fine during the week. We run batch processing each night that results in 3-4GB of transaction logs to be shipped over and processed on the backup server.
On Sunday's, we run database maintenance jobs on the primary server that again generates massive traffic from primary to secondary server. What happens during these maintenance jobs is that the secondary server will process .sqb transaction logs, but fail to move the processed logs from a directory called NOTProcessed to Processed.
When I look at the log files for the SQB application on the backup server, the log will indicate a log file was moved and deleted from the NOTPROCESSED folder, but I verify myself that it actually DID NOT get moved or copied. When this happens repeatedly, SQB will fail to restore since it finds "old" transaction logs in the NOTPROCESSED directory that have LSNs that are too early to apply to the backup db. When this happens, each and every restore will fail until I manually delete these old log files.

Any idea what's going on?

thanks

Comments

• Hi all, since I have gotten no replies, I want to add that I also tried to change the restore frequency to every half hour instead of every 15 minutes, and it had no effect.

The backup server (target) is a clean build of Windows 2003, running SQL 2005, and nothing else! I have dual 2.4ghz xeons and 4GB ram...I can't figure out why SQB would have an issue moving the file and if it did, why it would say it moved it!!

HELP :)
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    SQL Backup uses standard Windows functions to move files, and reports a successful move only when Windows returns a success code. Since a move is essentially a copy and a delete, is there a copy of the 'processed' file in the PROCESSED folder?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • There is no copy at all in the processed folder... It is simply "gone" from the NOTPROCESSED folder and the PROCESSED folder as well....
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    It may be worthwhile to enable auditing on the server that's accepting the copies of the log backups in the local security policy, and then enable auditing (through properites) on the directory that is hosting the NOTPROCESSED server share for all failure events. Then check the security log to see if there are any access failures.
  • I'll enable and see if I can get anything useful out of it. The stock event logging didn't show any errors or warnings. I'll post results after this weekend's processing run.
  • Argh, looks like I didn't audit failed deletions for the right users... I'll have to wait another week to try..

On a side note, I've noticed monster disk queueing happening on the data drive on this database server around the same time the files aren't deleted. Has anyone seen this situation cause Windows NOT to delete a file when asked? Maybe the queue gets so long that the deletion request times out?

thanks,
    E