Options

Snapshot Browser

RichardBRichardB Posts: 35
edited October 13, 2006 6:36AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a free snapshot browser - or something that will open the snp files in a human readable fashion?

I like the interactive html for the changes, thats pretty sweet - something similar for the snps would be great. If I have missed this feature, sorry - please point me at it ;)

Cheers,

Rich

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Unfortunately other than SQL Compare itself, I do not know of any other product that will read in snp files.

A snapshot is a binary file containing information about the structure of a database, it does not contain any data.

You may want to save a snapshot of a database so you can use it in a comparison project when you cannot connect to that database. For example you can use snapshots to compare databases on unconnected SQL servers.

Snapshots cannot be updated, however you can compare a snapshot with a live database, the live database can be updated or synchronized with the snapshot.

If you were to compare against a blank live database you would be able to see all the snapshot contents/database structure.
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thanks. I was hoping you'd say 'Yes! Here is a link to our free snapshot browser, so you can distribute snapshots in a funky browsable manner'.

Ah well, back to enterprise manager for that job then :(

Rich
  • Options
    Hi there,

we do in fact have a free tool for comparing two snapshot files. It is called Scream! You can download it from our labs - more details at http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=46

Thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software