Options

feature request

laker_42laker_42 Posts: 47
I don't believe this is possible as of yet. I am in the process of running SQL data compare on several fairly large tables. It takes around an hour or two to finish the compare. However, towards the end of the compare I ran out of disk space to finish one of the last compares. Obviously it gave me an error & closed out.

It would be nice if the tool would still present me with the results of the tables that were successfully compared as opposed to forcing me to start all over again with all of the table compares. As I am doing right now. I have to wait another hour or so to get the tables that I do have space for & were already done during the first compare that cancelled.

This would be nice for the actual synchronization of the data. If one cancels, only rollback the table changes for the cancelled operation not all of the table changes that were successful.

Does that make sense?

John

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi John,

You can set an environment variable called RGTEMP. This will get SQL Compare, Data Compare, and Packager to use an alternate storage location for temporary files. To set the variable, go to your start bar, right-click my computer and select properties, then advanced, then click environment variables. Under user variables, set RGTEMP=d:\temp or whatever folder you want to use.

This should help prevent errors from running out of disk space where you have a rather large spare disk drive that you can use.
  • Options
    Brian,
    Thanks for the suggestion for the environment variable. That will be very handy. It would still be nice to have the last 2 features:
    laker_42 wrote:
    It would be nice if the tool would still present me with the results of the tables that were successfully compared as opposed to forcing me to start all over again with all of the table compares. As I am doing right now. I have to wait another hour or so to get the tables that I do have space for & were already done during the first compare that cancelled.

This would be nice for the actual synchronization of the data. If one cancels, only rollback the table changes for the cancelled operation not all of the table changes that were successful.
  • Options
    John,

For your third request, have you tried unchecking the Use Transactions In SQL Scripts option? This should disable the automatic rollback when a problem occurs with the synchronization.

With regards to your request that a partial results list is displayed after a cancel, I'll add this to our list of feature requests.

Thanks for the feedback,

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    David,
    I will try that option to see how it works.

Thanks!
    John