Access Violation in xp_sqlbackup.dll

owenhowenh Posts: 25
edited October 10, 2006 12:34PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I am getting this access violation on my server attempting to backup thte databases.

-SQL " BACKUP DATABASE [ACUVIEWS] TO DISK='D:\SQLBACKUPS\Daily\Acuviews\ACUVIEWS_db_20060208091217717.sqb' WITH NAME='DATABASE ACUVIEWS, 2006-02-08 09:12:17.717', DESCRIPTION='Backup on 02/08/2006 09:12:17 Database: ACUVIEWS Instance: (local) Server: HOU-BEST-PROD', VERIFY, MAILTO_ONERROR='owenh@amerexenergy.com;owen.hebert@gmail.com', ERASEFILES_ATSTART=6, COMPRESSION=2 " -E'
Execute interrupted by exception: Access violation at address 041C82C3 in module 'xp_sqlbackup.dll'. Write of address 00000001

Here is the Server OS/SQL Specs:

Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.760 (Intel X86)
Dec 17 2002 14:22:05
Copyright (c) 1988-2003 Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.0 (Build 2195: Service Pack

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Do you encounter this everytime that you run a backup on this database? If so, do you also encounter the error for other databases?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Yes. Any backup that is run is producing the same result.

I am going to start tby rebooting the server so I can get a good set of backups. But I feel that the problem will re-occur again after a period of time.
  • Ok. Now I am not able to backup things again. Log backups and FULL backups both. Below is the results of running a backup attempt. This is after the server has been rebooted. I can't keep reboooting the server to get this to keep backing up. What do I need to do now?

Thanks.

Owen

-SQL " BACKUP LOG [AMEREX] TO DISK='D:\SQLBackups\Daily\AMEREX\TransactionLogs\AMEREX_tlog_20060210102531827.sqt' WITH NAME='LOG AMEREX, 2006-02-10 10:25:31.827', DESCRIPTION='Backup on 02/10/2006 10:25:31 Database: AMEREX Instance: (local) Server: HOU-BEST-PROD', VERIFY, MAILTO_ONERROR='owenh@amerexenergy.com;owen.hebert@gmail.com', ERASEFILES_ATSTART=4, COMPRESSION=2 " -E'
    SQL Backup (DLL v4.0.0.113)
    Error acquiring mutex: WAIT_TIMEOUT

name value

exitcode 0
    sqlerrorcode 0
    Could you try restarting just the SQL Backup Agent service?

Also, are you running the server in fiber mode, and how many backups do you run a day?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I will restart the SQLBAckup Service,then try to re-run the logs.

No, this box is not using fiber mode.

On this server, I do Full DB Backups once per day on approximately 9 databases and lot's of log backups throughout the day (probably about 1000+ in a 24 hour period).
  • Stopping and Startng SQLBACKUP Agent service seems to have cleared up the problem. How long will it be before the problem crops upa again?
    Can you pinpoint the occurence when the backup first failed, and check if any messages were logged during that time in the Windows event log, SQL Server error and vdi logs?

My guess is that a process failed in xp_sqlbackup.dll, and failed to release the synchronization object needed by subsequent backups. Restarting the SQL Backup Agent service recreated that object.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Here is the info from the ApplicationLog on the server when the backups stopped working:

18210 :
    BackupVirtualDeviceSet::Initialize: Open failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_84B32D32-1B9F-4BD2-A437-BA3288FD4432'. Operating system error 0x80070002(The system cannot find the file specified.).

3041 :
    BACKUP failed to complete the command sp_executesql;1

The SQLSERVER LOGS don't show anything.

VDI LOGS follow:
    2006/01/06 05:06:31 pid(772) tid(360)
    Error on SQLBACKUP_{C85B124F-D2C9-4FF6-819D-5C5D64FCD024}
    Error at SVDS::Open: Open(control) Status Code: 2, x2
    Explanation: The system cannot find the file specified.

2006/01/09 05:00:19 pid(1032) tid(1736)
    Error on SQLBACKUP_{113930C9-47A8-4640-A0BD-2FB9B97F0F0E}
    Error at CVDS::Close: Abnormal termination state

2006/01/09 05:00:19 pid(1032) tid(1736)
    Error at TriggerAbort: invoked

2006/01/09 05:06:31 pid(772) tid(776)
    Error at SVDS::Open: Open(control) Status Code: 2, x2
    Explanation: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Can you send me (via private message in case there are some information you don't want to be publicly posted) the SQL Backup log that was generated at the time of the first and subsequent backup failure? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I'm having the same problem. Restarting the server corrects it but only for a time. It seems to come up once a week. If you have any hot fixes for this, please let me know.

thanks
    PP
    Do you get the same error message i.e. Error acquiring mutex: WAIT_TIMEOUT ?

Can you find the log file for the occurence of the first error, and sent it to me via private message? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • BackupVirtualDeviceSet::Initialize: Open failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_8086CC7C-3E09-45F3-BE37-DA6CDDCEB2E4'.
    Operating system error 0x80070002(error not found).

We run Log backup (1 time avery hour)
    Berg, could you pls explain the nature of the error you are experiencing? Given that the posting before yours was dated Feb 15, I can't place your question in context. Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I am getting the same error message when I try and install the extended procedures. Any help would be appreciated as my standard sql backups are growing!!
    The 'Open failure on backup device ...' error message appears only when a backup/restore is attempted, not while installing the extended stored procedures.

What is the error message you are receiving?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
    The 'Open failure on backup device ...' error message appears only when a backup/restore is attempted, not while installing the extended stored procedures.

What is the error message you are receiving?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • managed to fix it: needed to stop sql server, copy over the xp_sqlbackup.dll from c:\program files\redgate\sqlbackup\(local) to the sql server binn directory. restarted the server and everything worked fine.