Moving from 2000 to 2005

KmanKman Posts: 4
edited September 26, 2006 12:21PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
If I am migrating my dbs to 2005 do I simply remove the current 2000 server from my list of SQL Servers and add the 2005 to keep within my license agreement?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The license is applied to each server (physical or virtual). It is not a per-instance license. So if you don't want to, you need not remove SQL Server 2000. E.g you could have 3 SQL Server 2000 instances and 2 SQL Server 2005 instances on the same server, and you would still need only one license.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thank you Peter.
  • Hello,
    Can you verify this license agreement. Because when we purchased our 25 licenses we were told that it was per SQL instance regardless of if on the same server virtual or physical in fact when we installed Red-Gate it needed to be registered on each instance to function. If this is acurate Peter you just freed up 10 of our licenses for other use.
    Thank you
  • If you have 25 licenses this means you can license 25 different servers regardless of the number of instances of SQL Server you have running on each.
    You do need to register each instance of SQL Server in the GUI individually (as you would in Management studio or Enterprise Manager) to see them in the left hand tree view, but you only need to activate the license on one instance. If you refresh all the registered servers after activating a license (or reopen the application) it will show all the instances on the server as activated.
    Helen Joyce
    SQL Backup Project Manager
    Red Gate Software