Support of Large Data set comparisons???

mramsey22mramsey22 Posts: 3
edited September 22, 2006 10:50PM in SQL Data Compare Previous Versions
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying this product for my team of data analyst \ DBAs and I need to know if this product will support comparisons of up to 1 terrabyte or more of data?

also, what type of footprint \ overhead such comparisons \ syncronizations will put on the server?

All replies are welcomed...I am currently doing an evaluation of this product along with ApexSql & SQLDelta...trying to see WHY I should use one vice the other?

I am interested in the BUNDLE package offered by Red-gate...

Thanks,
Michelle

Comments

• Hi Michelle,

1Tb is theortically no problem for Datacompare, all of our comparison is done on disk etc and thus there is no upper limit to the number of rows allowed other than the availible diskspace (unlike our competitors who have an arbitary limit of the number of rows supported and who do their comparisons in memory leading to out of memory exceptions).

As a rule of thumb you need 3-4 times the size of the database free diskspace (This is for a local copy of the data from each database and space for the SQL Script creation) - since this is limiting when doing large datasets as not many machines have 3-4Tb of data we spent a lot of time putting in features to make data comparisons of this size possible by cutting down the amount of data we store or allowing you to compartmentalize your comparison to subsets of a database/table both horizontally and vertically.

If you 1Tb databases contain very similar data in both instances then I would suggest looking at the option "Show indentical values in results" under "Comparison Options" on the options tab as this will stop datacompare storing any data which is identical in the two databases allowing the comparison to happen with a much smaller disk space footprint.

If your 1Tb databases contain a large amount of different data then I would suggest splitting the table horizontally or vertically and performing the comparisons in parts. You can split the table horizontally by using the "WHERE filter" feature. On the "Tables and Views" tab right click on the tables with a large amount of data in them and choose "Open WHERE clause editor" this will open up a window where you can specify a where clause and split the table into parts.

You can also do the equivilent vertically by clicking on the "Columns in Comparison" column next to a table on the "Tables and Views" tab and removing some of the columnns.

If you have any further questions then please dont hesitate to post here again or contact sales@red-gate.com with any information about licensing etc.

Hope this helps,

- James
    --
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • THANK YOU... I like the RESPONSE time from this news forum...I will use my 14 day evaluation but I believe at this stage I am leaning towards purchasing your Product :D ....

Thanks...Michelle
This discussion has been closed.