Synchronization Error

chrisluckhurstchrisluckhurst Posts: 2
edited August 22, 2006 4:08PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

First, I do not use SQL server nor do I manage one. I can open it, look at the screen and guess based on previous Windows Knowledge.

The company I just signed on with has asked me to research an error that started to occur with the SQL Compare app. I must give a little background data first. The company has moved locations and have changed their IP's on the server. Since the move this error occured, otherwise prior to everything was working fine.

The error is sounding like a permissions on the second (live server).

Note: SERVER5 = Dev Server
SERVER4 = Live Server.
%username = using for the user

Error:

SQL compare generates the following error:

[15401] Windows NT user or group 'SERVER5\%username' not found. Check the name again.

The following SQL command cause the error:

if not exist (select * from master.dbo.syslogins where loginname=N'SERVER5\jbezanson') exec sp_granlogin N'SERVER5\%username'

I have found this article so far on the site, not sure if it's the same
http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... ight=15401

What does the N' mean?

If anyone has any ideas, please respond.

Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Chris,

Yes indeed this is the same issue. SQL Server can't create a local Windows login when the login came from a different computer (ie not a Windows domain account). You can only avoid this by excluding the user (and any role they're a member of) from the synchronization.

N'string' just tells Microsoft SQL Server to expect Unicode characters. Without N', SQL Server can possible misniterpret non-Latin characters.