Event Source: SQLBackupAgent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5000
Date: 8/22/2006
Time: 9:20:10 AM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
SQL Backup Agent startup error: error initialising IPC objects. No mapping between account names and security IDs was done

I searched the forum for this, and found one instance.

The user that starts the SQLSERVER is Administrator, and I tried that with the SQLBackupAgent service, with no luck.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Still no luck. Googling yields no extra results other than the thread I found here.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

This is a fairly standard error. SQL Backup Agent is set to log on as a domain account and the domain is unavailable to verify the login. There is either a network problem or the account has been deleted from the domain or is invalid.

You can try changing the account that the SQL Backup Agent service runs under. Possibly re-entering the account intormation into the LogOn tab may help if the account had been deleted and recreated.
  • Hello,

This is a fairly standard error. SQL Backup Agent is set to log on as a domain account and the domain is unavailable to verify the login. There is either a network problem or the account has been deleted from the domain or is invalid.

You can try changing the account that the SQL Backup Agent service runs under. Possibly re-entering the account intormation into the LogOn tab may help if the account had been deleted and recreated.

This is installed directly on my SBS2k3 server. So there is certainly no network issue involved here.

I've tried three different login users (admin, myself and another user) that all have rights as administrator on this machine.

I've not found a solution yet.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    When the SQL Backup Agent service starts, it needs to grant rights to some internal objects, to both it's startup user and the associated SQL Server service's startup user.

Try setting the SQL Backup Agent service user to LocalSystem (assuming LocalSystem has the SQL Server sysadmin fixed server role). For the SQL Server service user, is it started using a domain user? Is the full name of the domain user i.e. DomainName\UserName ?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • petey wrote:
    When the SQL Backup Agent service starts, it needs to grant rights to some internal objects, to both it's startup user and the associated SQL Server service's startup user.

Try setting the SQL Backup Agent service user to LocalSystem (assuming LocalSystem has the SQL Server sysadmin fixed server role). For the SQL Server service user, is it started using a domain user? Is the full name of the domain user i.e. DomainName\UserName ?

I've tried local system to no avail

I've tried DOMAINNAME\Username (3 different users).

I've tried .\Username (3 different users)

All come up with the same error.

SQLSERVER is started by .\Administrator (I verified this).
    For the SQL Server service, if you can change it, could you pls try using <COMPUTERNAME>\Administrator instead of .\Administrator?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • petey wrote:
    For the SQL Server service, if you can change it, could you pls try using <COMPUTERNAME>\Administrator instead of .\Administrator?

I could, yes. But I cannot restart the service as people are connected.

Ok, I changed both the SQLSERVER and the SQLBACKUP program to DOMAIN\Administrator and it works (without a sql server restart).

weird.
    I should have mentioned, the service needs only to read the SQL Server service user, and it will then try to set up a security identifier using that user id. If that security identifier matches the id that the SQL Server service is currently started with, the backups should be able to run.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software