sqb2mtf errrors

pokhreapokhrea Posts: 19
edited October 20, 2006 10:39AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,

I copy the redgate backups to a different server without having redgate installed and want to restore the backup in that server. I am thinking of using the convert utility to convert into .BAK formats but I am getting a syntax error.

There are 3 files with .SQB extension in the form
mydb_FULL_20060816 100202.SQB

I want to keep the same name and do like this
SQB2mtf "c:\test\*.SQB" "C:\test\*.bak" mypassword

The error i get is that it cant find the file and sometimes get wrong password error.

Can you please let me know how you will convert multiple files keeping the same name.

Thanks
Ap

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    sqb2mtf cannot convert multiple files, nor files matching search patterns. You need to name the file explicitly.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • petey wrote:
    sqb2mtf cannot convert multiple files, nor files matching search patterns. You need to name the file explicitly.

So how do you propose converting multiple compressed files to the Microsoft Tape format? We have large database and have used the backup product to compress to 8 individual files to ship to our stand by server. Being able to split in mutiple files (with the sqb2mtf utility to restore) was one of main reason we bought two licenses from Redgate. Now we want to convert these 8 files to the microsoft tape format
  • You can do this in the following fashion:

If we run the command:

master..sqlbackup N'-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [pubs] TO DISK = ''d:\pubs_01.sqb'', DISK = ''D:\pubs_02.sqb''"'

You can then run

sqb2mtf d:\pubs_01.sqb d:\pubs_01.bak
    sqb2mtd d:\pubs_02.sqb d:\pubs_02.bak

To create the two mtf files, you can then run

RESTORE DATABASE [pubs] FROM DISK = 'd:\pubs_01.bak', DISK = 'd:\pubs_02.bak' WITH REPLACE, MOVE 'pubs' TO 'd:\pubs.mdf', MOVE 'pubs_log' TO 'D:\pubs_log.ldf'

Hope this helps,

- James
    --
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • thanks. that wasn't an obvious solution.... at least to me.